• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night Migration with GlassOfFire (1 Viewer)

buile

Anyone using the software bits from OldBird.org: Tseep-x, Thrush-x, and Glass-of-Fire? The idea is the software searches wav files for blasts in certain frequency ranges to detect night migrating bird calls.

Now that my Marantz is working without issues, I recorded last night and ran the results through Tseep and such. I got a few hits, so I'm curious if anyone is using it and gotten experience identifying the spectograms?

One note, the OldBird.org software only works on 16 bit, 22050 KHz files. The Marantz's lowest sample rate is 44010. So, I'm batching the conversion through linux. I'm sure I'll have to expand out the batch process onto windows to make the whole conversion and viewing process much more seamless.

Anyone using the software bits from OldBird.org: Tseep-x, Thrush-x, and Glass-of-Fire? The idea is the software searches wav files for blasts in certain frequency ranges to detect night migrating bird calls.

Now that my Marantz is working without issues, I recorded last night and ran the results through Tseep and such. I got a few hits, so I'm curious if anyone is using it and gotten experience identifying the spectograms?

One note, the OldBird.org software only works on 16 bit, 22050 KHz files. The Marantz's lowest sample rate is 44010. So, I'm batching the conversion through linux. I'm sure I'll have to expand out the batch process onto windows to make the whole conversion and viewing process much more seamless.

I have used the software and have some experience identifying spectograms.

Last night, May 7-8th was a real bonanza. Over 200 hits, which is 5-20 times more than anything previously gotten. An example of some calls: http://www.prism.net/user/buile/May_7-8_2009_examples.jpg

I bought OldBird.org's Flight Calls of Migratory Birds CD, which is not just a CD, but webpages of calls and sounds. Included are pretty detailed frequency and duration metrics that, with a lot of time and persistence, will help narrow down which species may have may certain calls. Probably not for those who are less-than-obsessive/compulsive!

> Passive radar ?

Hey, in a way it is :)

Birds migrating at night give flight and contact calls to stay in touch. So, just point a microphone at the night sky and record all night long.

Oldbird.org provides software to scan .wav files looking for sound bursts within frequency ranges used by bird calls. The screenshot I posted contains spectograms (a visual depiction of sound) of bird calls detected by Tseep-x and Thrush-x.

Apparently there was a huge bird migration throughout New Jersey the other night. Things calmed down again last night; I went from over 200 detected flight calls, down to about 25-30.

After a couple nights of virtually no activity overhead, some more came through last night:

http://www.prism.net/user/buile/May_11-12_2009.jpg

A couple new figures I don't think I've seen yet (for example, the second to last). Haven't had the time to examine the waveforms... for the bulk of them I'm guessing Yellow-rumps and/or Ovenbirds, White-throated Sparrows, Indigo Bunting, American Redstart?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back