• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding Painted Buntings in Midwest US in April? (1 Viewer)

nehideas

Hi -- this is my second day on the forum, and it seems to be a wonderful source of info and companionship in the birding world. I live in the Kansas City area and have a dear friend ~80 years old who considers it her lifelong goal to see a Painted Bunting. She has done so much for me in life, I'd love to pile her into a comfy car with good binocs and head off to --where?-- Oklahoma? Texas? Arkansas?

Anyone know of a pretty sure place/time to see them?

I live in south central Texas and I get painted buntings every year but mine don't arrive until May. Corpus Christi, TX. gets them a little earlier than I do. They also get tons of migrants in mid April. That would probably be a good place to start.

Yes, my avatar is a picture I took of a painted bunting. They are gorgeous birds; something not to be missed if you get the chance.

When might the Painted Bunting be present on the East coast? (North/South Carolina, Georgia) I'm a fairly new birder who would love to add the Painted Bunting to my list as well as many of the species that I would find while driving up the coast.

Painted buntings in GA

Sphexes said:
When might the Painted Bunting be present on the East coast? (North/South Carolina, Georgia) I'm a fairly new birder who would love to add the Painted Bunting to my list as well as many of the species that I would find while driving up the coast.

I just spent 2 days in GA, May 26 and 27th, 2004, and was able to enjoyed painted buntings at my neices feeder. I was also able to get about 10 minutes of video. Reply if you would like more information. The specific location was Eulonia, GA, exit 67 off I-95 about 25 miles north of Brunswick. My neice said that they are there from mid-March until September.

Harold Cox
[email protected]

Hi nehideas,

Painted Buntings nest in southwest Missouri. If you get around Joplin or Neosho (down in that area), you should be able to see this bird. You will also see Western Kingbirds and Scissor-tailed Flycatchers. I believe they have been seeing the Painted Bunting in the Columbia and Saint Louis area this year and last year, but these areas are a little out of the buntings normal range.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back