• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recording bird sightings (1 Viewer)

Alan13

Being completely new to birdwatching, I was wondering how people here record their daily/weekly/etc. sightings.

Do you record as you go? Just take notes and then write out a fuller account at the end of the day? Are there software programmes available? Or is a manual record preferable?

So many questions. I hope that someone out there will be able to help me.

TIA

Alan

I take a notebook out into the field - since for on the spot counting of eg passage. I write the most interesting stuff up into log books - which I have been keeping religiously since about 1983.

I also put all the local records into a database. The log books are for my benefit - I love leafing through them 20 years on - looking at sketches, reading how excited I was etc.

The databased records I send to my local county recorder for inclusion in the county bird report.

Hello Alan, i also carry a notebook, but like Jane now write into a log book and fill out more detail.

I have tried a birding database, but i lost interest when i had a data corruption problem.

Cant draw very well so im hoping to add photos to my log, but i still attempt a drawing if its is something unusual as even a bad drawing can be useful later.

Cuddy.

I don't actually write that much detail in the logs, more the story round a days birding. Only 10 or so days a year make it into the Log books these days.

Recording Bird Sightings

Alan13 said:
Being completely new to birdwatching, I was wondering how people here record their daily/weekly/etc. sightings.

Do you record as you go? Just take notes and then write out a fuller account at the end of the day? Are there software programmes available? Or is a manual record preferable?

So many questions. I hope that someone out there will be able to help me.

TIA

Alan

Hi Alan
I find that making records as you go is useful then make a more detailed record as you suggest at the earliest opportunity.
I use a software programme The DVD Guide to British birds Version 7 which is available from www.birdguides.com. who have a number of versions available.
They contain a comprehensive collectionof video clips, sound recordings,illustrations etc, they also provide a system for recording your sightings and records for your own referance or forwarding to your local birding club for the County Recorder.

Hope this has provided an answer to your query

Denbee

Hi Alan, same as above really, as I take a notebook out & do a write up when I get in.

Personally i prefer reading from paper than a screen so use a day-per-page diary for the write up

Hi Alan,

Quick jots in a notebool, then I use software (BirdRecorder for windows). Like cuddy, I had software problems a few years back, took me days to re-enter everything, which only goest to show that backing up frequently is a good idea.

Hi Alan,
I carry a notebook into the field with me and list birds seen, any unusual behavior or rare sighting gets a comment. When I get home, I input the sightings into a database (Access program using the AOU checklist). And I do back up my files :cool:

Whenever I prepare for a trip to a place I have visited previously, I print out a checklist from my database and then add any target birds that I am still looking for there.

If I'm preparing for a new destination, I try to get a local checklist to review what species I'm likely to encounter and brush up on any ID's or habits. I also carry a field guide with me. My sketches are terrible so I only do them for a new bird I'm having trouble IDing.

Most important thing to do, is to send off all your records to your local county recorder at the end of each month.

And if you find something that other people might want to see, and it is safe for the bird to do so !!, put the news out as soon as possible.

Michael

I take a book with me but often find I don't write in it.

When I get home I go through my field guide (which I always take with me as well) and write down all the birds I saw. I usually post the list (and other details) on the Birdlovers group on Livejournal.

I have also made up a spreadsheet to keep track of things. I have a sheet for every birding site I frequent and the list of species I have seen down the side. For each time I go there I put the date and cross off what I saw. It's good for keeping track of what always pops up and what is a rarity in the area.

I kepp a note book & write down ALL birds seen, breeding singing passage etc. I then write these in my big bird notebook, they then go onto a data base. These are then edited & given to the county recorder at the end of the month. I share all my notable birds here on BF. I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to send your records to the county recorders.

It is virtually expected of you.

colinj said:
I kepp a note book & write down ALL birds seen, breeding singing passage etc. I then write these in my big bird notebook, they then go onto a data base. These are then edited & given to the county recorder at the end of the month. I share all my notable birds here on BF. I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to send your records to the county recorders.

Hi,
I'm very new to this birdwatching game and have enjoyed reading the Forum but this has thrown up a few questions. Bird lists? Is there any such thing as a pre-printed Bird list on which I can record or tick my sighting off, or do I start with a blank piece of paper and record what I've seen this then becoming my bird list? How do I find out who the county recorders are for Hampshire?

told you I was new to this

You can download list from the Bird Forum links pages - LINKS - BIRDING RESOURCES, PRINTABLE WOLRD CHECKLISTS.

I started off myself with a downloaded copy of the Avon Bird List (being my area) which I found from a Web Search. I then deleted all the Rare, Very rare and very Scarce birds to give me a list of a more manageable size, which I could print off on an A4 sheet to take out into the field with me. I find it much easier to tick birds than to write names into a notebook (though some people use the BOU abreviations for speed). There's plenty of room in the margin and on back of sheet for extra notes about sightings (highlight on Tuesday was watching a peregrine chase and finally catch a golden plover, and then stand eating it, being watched by two hungry crows whio finally made off with the nearly stripped carcass). Back at home I transfer the ticks to a computer spreadsheet and I take a new checklist with me each time I go out, avoiding danger of losing all my precious notes into a pond or muddy ditch etc.
Works for me!
Can't help you with county recorders for Hampshire, but suggest you contact local bird clubs - trawl the net till you find one!
Jampots

colinj said:
I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to send your records to the county recorders.

I hadn't thought of sending my sightings to the county recorder, I assume I've not seen anything that hasn't been reported by someone else. Am I being naive? Are there guidelines for what the county recorders are interested in, is it everything?

Paul

pauljones said:
I hadn't thought of sending my sightings to the county recorder, I assume I've not seen anything that hasn't been reported by someone else. Am I being naive? Are there guidelines for what the county recorders are interested in, is it everything?
Paul

Many areas do have guidelines as to what sort of records are needed, or a look at your local bird report will give you an idea. It isn't just records of scarce birds by any means. If in doubt, send it in and let the county recorder decide whether or not it is of use.

I always have a notebook, pencil (works in rain which pens do not!) and sharpener with me on trips out. I make loads of notes on not just birds but flowers (sketches of ones I don't recognise = LOTS!), butterflies, mammals, weather conditions etc. Then I always try to get it written down in either the same day or within a couple of days while it's still fresh in my mind. As Jane has said, it's nice to be able to look back and read about days out and how exciting it was...brings it all back! I also do sketches and drawings of more detail. I use a loose-leaf ring binder so I can add to it as the year progresses and include newspaper clippings of interesting sightings, sketches, photos etc etc.
On a day to day basis I have a tiny page-to-a-day diary which stays in my pocket (or handbag if I'm being in girlie-mode LOL ) and in this i record, in my own shorthand, every species I have seen that day. Not as tiresome as it seems as most species I have abbreviated over the years. WP=woodpigeon, HS=house sparrow, BB=blackbird, ST=starling, HG=herring gull etc
I'm ashamed to admit that I have never got around to sending in any records to my local recorder (sorry Ian) and I keep meaning to...need to be more positive!!! I'll send him an email tomorrow morning to see how much it'll be for record cards to be sent to me...can't get to Newcastle for club meetings at the mo!
Oh and don't think that it's only rare birds which the County Recorder wants to hear about....one person sends in numbers of Feral Pigeon seen at Blyth and North Shields which are printed in our monthly bulletin! All species are noteworthy...look at how common House Sparrows and Starlings were just a few years ago...now they are rare in places!!! Mmm,there's a total I could make a note of to send in..we've got dozens of them here...we live next to a farm!
The main thing Alan is that you ENJOY watching the birds and keeping records is NOT compulsory!!! It just adds a bit of interest to it all and, if you keep a diary, however basic, is nice to look back on.

GILL

Hey...I just take a notebook and record the birds I see while I am in the field. Then, when I return home, I enter that into my all time bird list of they are a species I have not seen. I am a beginner, and not a good drawer so I am buying a nice camera to document them. Is this a good way to do it?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back