• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kerry Eagles (1 Viewer)

Quite! Mull builds an entire tourist industry around theirs and a minority of idiots in southern Ireland poison theirs. It's a pity they can't see the opportunities these birds afford an area. Remind me not to be sympathetic when they start bleating on about the recession biting hard.

I don´t think it´s possible to get any more depressed about this than I am already. The Red Kites, Golden Eagles and Sea-Eagles have all suffered this kind of atrocity since the re-introduction programmes began here. I really think authorities in other jurisdictions should consider carefully if it´s worth exporting rare raptors to this country for slaughter. First of all, at the very least, they should insist that the Irish Government immediately ban the use of all poisons used in bait on agricultural land. Mind you, as the Irish Government couldn´t be trusted to run a Hot Bath efficiently, that might be a pointless exercise too.

Quite! Mull builds an entire tourist industry around theirs and a minority of idiots in southern Ireland poison theirs. It's a pity they can't see the opportunities these birds afford an area. Remind me not to be sympathetic when they start bleating on about the recession biting hard.

Huh. The numpties that run this nation couldn't give a hoot if we're in recession or not. Clowns the lot of them and not funny ones at that.:C
Then there are some just as idiotic farmers and landowners who still live in the dark ages and believe that birds of prey are the scourges of the countryside and have no rightful place on this planet. This goes for all types not just eagles and kites. The local wildlife centre here in Co. Monaghan is testament to that. They take in an ever increasing number of poisoned and injured [gunshot injured] hawks,buzzards and falcons. Sad ,very sad.|:(|

Si.

Ugh, that's disgusting. I just can't help but wonder why someone would do something like that. There's always someone that just has to have their head buried in the ground and not realise what it is that's going on and try to do whatever they can to prevent it.

Ugh, that's disgusting. I just can't help but wonder why someone would do something like that. There's always someone that just has to have their head buried in the ground and not realise what it is that's going on and try to do whatever they can to prevent it.

It may be that farmers are laying poisoned carcasses for foxes, and the raptors are "collateral damage". Bizarrely, this poisoned bait is still legal, I think, in Ireland. It may also be that some farmers are targeting the raptors - many wouldn´t welcome tourists on their lands anyway, and there are serious access issues to land in Ireland for walkers, etc. A lot of farmers wouldn´t want anyone on their land looking for eagles or anything else. In fairness to the farmers, some opportunists in the past have claimed to have suffered injury while walking on private farmland, falling off fences or whatever, and successfully sued the farmers in court for damages (what drugs the judge was on, I don´t know). This didn´t endear walkers/tourists to farmers here. There seem to be a number of issues intersecting here (legal use of poisoned bait, rights-of-way, etc.), and the raptors are paying the price. Incidentally, the President of the Irish Farmers Association was on the news the other night saying it was unfair that everyone blames farmers every time an eagle is poisoned. I´m not sure who else would be doing the poisoning, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back