• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Query regarding Nikon 2.5 x telephoto lens for 4500 (1 Viewer)

Reader

Currently on ebay there is the above telephoto lens for sale at £52.95. My question is: how good are they and would they be a worthwhile addition to my equipment?

I am going to Spain in April and there have been times when birds have been too far for my camera or too near to digiscope. I have a 5x Eagle Eye and at times I find it difficult to get the odd flying bird but I can think of quite a few situations (especially at El Rocio on the Coto Donana) where something like a 2.5 would get me shots that I had no chance with my current equipment.

It would also possibly be an excellent attachment from time to time onto my 5x converter.

OK you experts, over to you. What do you think? Is this the item for me or are there better ones, and if so what are they?

Reader said:
Currently on ebay there is the above telephoto lens for sale at £52.95. My question is: how good are they and would they be a worthwhile addition to my equipment?

<snip>

It would also possibly be an excellent attachment from time to time onto my 5x converter.

There is no Nikon 2.5X teleconverter lens. There is, however, a third party brand of lens that will fit a CP4500. At the prices mentioned, I'd expect very mediocre quality. If you purchase the Nikon brand 2x or 3X you can expect excellent sharpness - but at a higher price.

If you do opt for the lower priced converter, I strongly suggest stopping the camera down as far as you can.

Thanks jay. That is the sort of info I needed to allow me to disregard that item

What do you think of the Olympus TCON-14 which is going for £70. Will it fit to a 4500 and if so how good is it and is it worth it?

Reader said:
Thanks jay. That is the sort of info I needed to allow me to disregard that item
What do you think of the Olympus TCON-14 which is going for £70. Will it fit to a 4500 and if so how good is it and is it worth it?

Well, its only a 1.45x which isn't much. Since its from Olympus its probably good quality. I have no idea if it will mount to a CP4500.

My suggestion, if you want to be sure to get good sharp prints, is to simply get a TC-E2 or a TC-E3ED extender made by Nikon for your camera. If your budget is tight, then I'd shop used. There are no moving parts on a lens like this which makes it a pretty good candidate for a used purchase.

I have a TC-E3ED and I assure you it is essentially as sharp as the native lens. I've heard the same thing reported for the TC-E2 by a number of reputable sources. I don't recall ever hearing a negative comment about the optical quality of either of these two lenses.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back