• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disgraceful birders - Plea to help protection of Northern Bald Ibis, Morocco (1 Viewer)

Mal92

This is currently being debated on the African Birding Forum.

I want to thank the 95+% of birders and bird tour leaders who visit southern
Morocco each year and respect the importance of the last colony of the
Critically Endangered Northern Bald Ibis, by searching for the birds away from
the main breeding colony at Tamri. I am very much aware how much all visiting
birders want to see Northern Bald Ibis when visiting the area, and realise it
can be frustrating if the birds are not in the feeding areas exactly when
arriving at the site, especially as visitors itineraries are often tightly
packed. The Souss-Massa National Park, with support from SEO/BirdLife (and RSPB
to a lesser extent now than previously) are working hard on ways to improve on
and develop birding visits in a way that ultimately benefit the local
communities, so they have a genuine interest and pride in protecting the birds
that are found only in their area.

I know first hand just how delicate this process is, with local attitudes to
outsiders and tourists being very varied, and some earlier efforts to protect
roost and breeding sites have resulted in locals actually deliberately
disturbing roosting birds through jealousy or suspicion, even when the majority
of local residents were fully supportive of such efforts. The National Park and
SEO/BirdLife have been making wonderful progress with compatible development
initiatives that are benefiting the local community, and gaining their
confidence and trust - but this takes time. One potential that is regularly
discussed is how to coordinate birders visits in ways that benefit local people
(not just benefiting an outside agent from abroad or elsewhere in Morocco), and
in a way that does not require huge resources to manage further down the line.

So it is very disturbing when a minority of irresponsible visitors such as a
recent group in early May (who we know from wardens records that the leader has
previously ignored the well known request among all birders to avoid the
colony), continue to approach the colony itself. This is particularly
disappointing and embarrassing to the responsible birding community. The wardens
are locally appointed and trained (one key tangible benefit of the ibis to the
village communities closest to the colonies and roosts, and one which indirectly
links and informs the locals of the importance of the ibis), and their priority
role is to keep all visitors away from the site as well as systematically
monitoring the breeding birds. This recent birding party of birders from England
refused to accept the wardens request to leave and became abusive before
photographing the birds anyway. Through their attitude they appear to condone
others in approaching and jeopardising
the largest remaining colony of this species in the world. As explained on the
ABC website, http://www.africanbirdclub.org/countries/Morocco/hotspots.html the
breeding sites simply can not handle visiting birders at this stage, not so much
because of direct disturbance to the birds, but (and this is the part that seems
hardest to explain) because any increase in visits by foreigners would very
quickly attract many local boys in particular who would remain at the site all
day hoping to interact etc. and this would quickly become impossible to control.

The above-mentioned group is not the only one to ignore the requests not to
visit the colonies, there are others who seem to think they can ignore these
codes of conduct, in some cases because they support an organisation that helps
to fund the work! This makes the task of those local wardens and the National
Park (who are doing a tremendous job with limited resources) a lot harder than
it needs to be, and undermines the morale of the wardening team.

Developing a birding circuit to more actively show the ibis to visitors, and
channel the benefits of bird tourism to local communities is something the park
plans to trial in the near future. However, this does not come without
considerable challenges and risks, ultimately for the birds - particularly as
not all birders are as responsible as we'd like, and with the added potential
for cultural misunderstandings.

Finally, to reiterate the thanks to the vast majority of birders who responsibly
manage to see the ibis (often seeing them very well and in good numbers), in the
areas away from the colonies, recommended on the ABC website. By using for
example the Tamri cafes/eating places, telling local people why you are there
and how good it is that they still have ibis is something very positive that all
visitors can do. I know some groups have started doing this on a regular basis,
and this has been very positive all round.

Given half a day in the Tamri area, very few such visitors go away disappointed,
which cant be bad for one of the rarest species in the world?

Chris Bowden, RSPB

Chris, you and the Ibis have my best wishes. There are no words to describe the type of "birders" you write about here. Tiny gonads and giant egos. Naturally I can't promote vigilantism, but you know?

I agree, naming is the only way to stop people using these companies, prospective clients may think twice about spending money with them on a tour if they realise they are unscrupulous.

I hope I am very wrong about this, in which case I apologise in advance, but I fear the following thread may be relevant: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142318 -check Jos's comments in post 5!!

Firstly, I go nowhere much, so I've no experience in visiting other Countries. So what I'm about to say is based on this thread.

After reading this thread, and the one you linked to, it appears that they are connected.

However, I think the OP in the other thread should have the opportunity to defend themselves before much more is said.

I think the OP in the other thread should have the opportunity to defend themselves before much more is said.

See has, see post # 7.

However, the birder she was with, i.e. Lee Evans, must surely know the score with these birds and specifically that birders are requested to refrain from visiting the nesting cliffs. He spends half his life wardening twitches in the UK, is heavily involved in bird information services of one sort or another and knows as much about Western Palearctic birding as anyone - it would surprise me if he was unaware of the requests put out by conservationists down there. He should have known better and led by example.

Last edited:
This is all very worrying IMO......allegations that British birders are disturbing nest sites of endangered birds, a top birder alledgedly disturbing them too. My concern is obviously for the birds but I think people need to be careful that their allegations are not unfounded before posting on the internet.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but reading this thread convinces me more than ever...if you ever find a very rare bird (or other) just STFU and go on...nothing good comes from fame and fortune in nature. Stay thankless and under the radar. Too bad. :casty:

I hate to say it but reading this thread convinces me more than ever...if you ever find a very rare bird (or other) just STFU and go on...nothing good comes from fame and fortune in nature. Stay thankless and under the radar. Too bad. :casty:

Agreed most of the time these birds die because of some ediot trying to see it or feed it the wrong food or have it land on their friend's hat and tons of stupid ass*oles can take photos of it.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but reading this thread convinces me more than ever...if you ever find a very rare bird (or other) just STFU and go on...
???

This incident has absolutely nothing to do with the chance 'finding' of a rare bird (eg, an extreme vagrant). It allegedly concerns a deliberate (and completely unnecessary) unauthorised visit to the main breeding colony of a Critically Endangered species (reportedly not for the first time), and refusal to accept the warden's request to leave.

Richard

Last edited:
Differentiation noted between vagrant and roost or breeding colonies. This reminds me a lot of 'no wake zones' for manatees in Florida...when someone finally sees that 'their' boat made the manatee bleed (or worse), they slow down. Until then, its just an inconvenience.

Whilst the vast majority of British and other birders who visit my little corner of the globe are civil and sensible in their attitude to their hosts and the birds, I have encountered a few in my time whose attitude is questionable.

There was, a while back, a very reliable Papuan Frogmouth site in Cairns on private land (OK, they're not rare, but that's not the point). Visiting birders were allowed to view them if they arranged so in advance with a local birder. However, some visiting birders felt that it was perfectly acceptable to trespass in order to see them. One local threatened to shoot the birds to stop the trespassers. Thankfully it didn't come to that in the end.

With a critically endangered species in a country where locals may view visiting birders as something even more alien to their sensibilities then your average Aussie, it goes without saying that respecting the rules is even more critical...

However, some visiting birders felt that it was perfectly acceptable to trespass in order to see them.

Unfortunately a minority of birders do that in their own country too. Here we had a Cattle Egret visit us back in February, it was in a field between a house and a Southern Water pumping station and was easily seen from a public road plus it was photographable too (albeit with a long lens/digiscoping and maybe a bit of cropping too). Did that satisfy some people? No, there were a couple of idiots who thought it acceptable to climb over a gate and cut through someone's garden to try and get a closer view. Needless to say this caused conflict with local people who were quite rightly pissed off that people were climbing into their garden!

Unfortunately a minority of birders do that in their own country too. Here we had a Cattle Egret visit us back in February, it was in a field between a house and a Southern Water pumping station and was easily seen from a public road plus it was photographable too (albeit with a long lens/digiscoping and maybe a bit of cropping too). Did that satisfy some people? No, there were a couple of idiots who thought it acceptable to climb over a gate and cut through someone's garden to try and get a closer view. Needless to say this caused conflict with local people who were quite rightly pissed off that people were climbing into their garden!
How're you doing Fay? Like the new avatar!:t:

Jos Stratford said:
However, the birder she was with, i.e. Lee Evans..... He spends half his life wardening twitches in the UK, is heavily involved in bird information services of one sort or another and knows as much about Western Palearctic birding as anyone -QUOTE]

Funny how the rules enforced at home don't count for anything when being abroad !

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back