• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand trip (1 Viewer)

Martinetti

Hello everyone,

I am planning a one month trip to Thailand in 2011. I want to do camping, birdwatching, scuba diving, and sightseeing...

Is it better to go in april or february?

What are the endemics hotspots?

What are the best birdwatching spots in the northern mountains?

What are the best birdwatching spots near the coast to possibly combine birdwatching and scuba diving?

Thanks all.

Hello everyone,

I am planning a one month trip to Thailand in 2011. I want to do camping, birdwatching, scuba diving, and sightseeing...

What are the best birdwatching spots near the coast to possibly combine birdwatching and scuba diving?

Thanks all.

Everything you need to know is here http://www.thaibirding.com/index.htm

HTH

In the northern mountains, the best spot is Doi Inthanon. February might be better than April as all the migrants will still be there. Khao Yai in NE Thailand (Isaan) is also a fabulous place.

diving can be combined with birding on Koh Surin and Koh Similan, or a trip inland to Khao Phra Bang Kram (Khao Nor Chuchi) for loads of southern specialities, Gurney's Pitta being top of the list. Doi Inthanon would be good in both months, there will be more winter migrants in february, but you've got more chance of seeing cochoas in April. I was there this april and I had some of my best birding of my life!

the thaibirding website should answer all your questions.

don't feel tempted to visit the parks in the deep south such as Hala-Bala. It's very dangerous down there.

Hello Martinetti,

Come in February - the diving on Koh Surin and Koh Similan is better, and the climate much nicer (April is the hottest month, even the Thais complain it is hot then, so a Canadaian might just melt ;)).

Best wishes

Dave

Hello everyone,

Thanks all.

I would say late february. At that time the winter migrants are all still present and the resident birds are MUCH easier to find than in December/January as they are beginning to call a lot. Also some species like Javan Pond Heron and Asian Golden Weaver are coming into breeding plumage.

April can produce some of the best birding, birds seem abundant and active - resident birds breeding and migrants on the move, but the weather can be very hot. A number of the northern migrants will have departed though. However, it doesn't matter what time of year you come, there is always something different to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back