• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tests of Atlas Intrepid 8x42 and 10x42 (1 Viewer)

henry link

This post was delayed because I’ve been camping in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park this past week. I spent a few hours with these binoculars before I left, concentrating on the 8x42 because I have a Zeiss FL 8x42 for comparison and because I’m just more interested in that configuration. So, what follows are some measurements and tests I was able to do over that time, not a complete review.

True Aperture: Curiously the 8x42 had a little less than the 10x42. The 8x42 varies with focusing distance from about 39mm at close focus to 41mm at infinity focus. The 10x42 varies with focus from 40mm to 42mm.

Eye Relief: 8x42 – 20mm from the eyelens, 15mm from the rim of the fully collapsed eyecup. 10x42 - 18mm from the eyelens, 13mm from the eyecup.

FOV: I didn’t measure this directly, but I carefully compared the FOV of the 8x42 to the Zeiss 8x56 FL and Nikon 8x32 SE, which were the closest in FOV among my binoculars. The 8x42 Intrepid fell neatly between the two, which would put it around 390’-393’ (close enough to Steve’s 396’ measurement). I didn’t measure the 10x42.

Resolution measured at 64x (8x42), 80x (10x42): The four barrels varied from about 3.5 arc sec in the right barrel of the 8x42 to about 4 arc sec in the right barrel of the 10x42. Not good enough for alpha class bragging rights, but perfectly fine. There is much more detail in the image than the eye can see at normal magnification.

Star Test at 64x, (8x42), 80x (10x42): The right barrel of the 8x42 was quite good by binocular standards. The only obvious problem was the expected spherical aberration. All the other barrels had about the same amount SA. I’ve seen less in the best binoculars, but also more in some very expensive ones. The left barrels of both binoculars showed coma, from misaligned optics, possibly a byproduct of collimation. The right barrel of the 10x42 showed some astigmatism, which probably explains its relatively worse resolution measurement. One really good barrel out of four ain’t bad when it comes to binoculars of any price and none of the defects were severe enough for me to notice any effect at normal magnification in daylight. The astigmatism in the 10x42 could soften the image in low light when the full aperture is used. I also star tested the good barrel of the 8x42 stopped down to 30mm to simulate daylight use. As expected, the 30mm the star test was substantially improved as a result of reduced SA.

Chromatic Aberration: Longitudinal CA is very well corrected for a binocular, indicating that the ED glass really does do what it’s supposed to do. The attached photo below on the left shows the cross-shaped center of my CA target as imaged through three binoculars: a conventional achromatic doublet (Nikon 8x32 SE) on the left, the Intrepid 8x42 in the middle and the Zeiss 8x42 FL on the right. The purple fringe in the SE image is typical longitudinal CA found in fast binocular optics, which you can see is almost absent in the other two. I should add that this is worst case CA from the entire objective. In daylight at 8X, even the obvious purple fringe seen in the SE image is not visible at all.

Control of lateral color (Transverse CA) in the 8x42 Intrepid is about average for binoculars. Lateral color is the type of color fringing you can actually see in binoculars in bright light. It becomes stronger away from the field center, but can sometimes be seen in the very middle if the eye is slightly decentered. Some expensive roof prism binoculars with complex objectives have quite a lot of this form of CA. The 8x42 Intrepid shows slightly less lateral color than the 8x42 FL. It has about the same amount as the 8x56 FL, which is a good result for a binocular of this type, but the 8x32 SE or most any other simple Porro has less than any of these.

Off Axis Sharpness: The 8x42 is similar to the Zeiss 8x42 FL (perhaps a little worse), which is to say it’s not particularly good. The off-axis deterioration is dominated by astigmatism just as it is in the FL. The center 20 degrees or so of apparent field is OK, but outside of that area astigmatism gradually increases until there is about 3-4 diopters difference between the sagittal and tangential foci at the edge of the field. Field curvature is low in the sense that the best focus at the edge (midpoint between the sagittal and tangential foci) is less than 1 diopter different from the center field focus. The 10x42 is similar, but perhaps slightly better.

Distortion: As in most binoculars there is pincushion distortion, a bit more in this case than is strictly needed to eliminate the “rolling globe” effect. The amount is about the same as the Zeiss 8x42 FL.

Light Transmission and Color Bias: I used the photo method I described a few months ago to compare the 8x42 Intrepid to the 8x42 FL and 8x32 SE, two binoculars with state of the art light transmission, but different color bias. The right image below shows sunlight reflecting from a piece of white paper. The three small squares in the center show the light after it passes through the optics of the three binoculars. The surrounding area is direct reflection from the paper to the camera. The Intrepid is the square at the upper left, the SE at the upper right.

The Intrepid result is actually quite good for a binocular using a Schmidt-Pechan prism with silver mirror coating. This image can’t be compared directly to the ones I made of other binoculars under different conditions and should be considered only as an approximation of light transmission, but from what I see I think the Intrepid is certainly dimmer than the alpha Schmidt-Pechan roofs that use dielectric mirror coating (as it should be with silver coating), but brighter than the silver coated Nikon LX-L, with which it shares a red bias. The warm bias probably indicates a relatively steep roll off in transmission from green through violet rather than a really sharp peak in the red. As I recall Ron’s (Surveyor) measurement of the light transmission of the sibling (identical?) Promaster binocular shows that kind of transmission curve. Reduced blue can give optics a snappy high contrast look because the cool shadow areas are slightly darkened compared to the warm sunlit areas and the daylight adapted eye may see an image with reduced blue as sharper because blue can’t quite be brought to common focus with the yellow/green to which the eye is most sensitive in daylight.

BTW, you can also see the warm color bias in the CA test images. Notice the slightly pink target cross and the warm black background in the Intrepid image compared to the nearly neutral Zeiss. The Nikon SE also has a slight red bias, but less than the Intrepid.

Flare Control: I wouldn’t expect any special problems with veiling glare, as I didn’t see any unusually bad internal reflections near the exit pupil. I did find the Intrepid to have superb resistance to ghosting, as good as any binocular I’ve seen.

That’s all the information I could gather in the time I had. The tests indicate very impressive optics for a $350 binocular. In fact, I would say the Intrepids are fully state of the art in two categories: freedom from longitudinal CA and ghosting. I thought the weakest ares of performance were off-axis astigmatism, light transmission and color bias, though none of those were really bad, just well below the state of the art. I didn’t use the binoculars under field conditions, so I don’t have any overall conclusions, but I did notice the very slow focus, which I know I don’t like from my years of using an early Swarovski EL.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 317
  • Slide2.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 241
Hi Henry, Very impressive "tests". I am interested in your resolution results of the Zeiss,SE when you have time to post. I think you might of posted about the Zeiss 8x56FL before. It might be my monitor but I can see the purple fringe in all the CA crosses as well as the red bias in the SE and Intrepid. Maybe it is just me. Thanks for going through the trouble of all this.:) After rereading I see you already said about the warm bias.:eek!:
Regards,Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I didn't retest the Zeiss and Nikon for resolution. They've been measured many times. The best side of the Zeiss is about 2.9 arc sec and the Nikon about 3.9.

In the photo below I brightened the CA target photos of the SE and the Intrepid to better bring out the color fringing. The wide purple fringe radiating in all directions in the SE photo on the left is longitudinal CA. The Intrepid photo unfortunately has a little transverse CA visible mostly as the red fringe on the top and right sides of the cross. I found it very difficult to tune that out by centering the target. I think if you compare the fringing visible on the bottom and left edges of the cross in the Intrepid image to the SE you'll notice the reduction in longitudinal CA. Remember these are not APO optics, just better than achromatic. And the image is highly magnified to the appearance of about 60x.

Henry

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 243
Hi Henry, Thanks so much for this update. Sounds like these are well worth $350. I must say a big thanks for your testing of these binoculars.:t:
Regards,Steve

Thank you for taking the time to not only do the tests but to post your results as well Henry. Much appreciated.

Henry,
I really enjoyed reading your report, and the photo methods are impressive. I hope you won't mind a couple of questions.

1) Over on CN, EdZ reports that magnification is higher at closer distances, with internally-focussing binoculars. I don't think he actually measures magnification per se, but bases this on the varying size of the exit pupil, and the assumption that the true aperture doesn't change. Are you measuring the exit pupil but turning his assumptions around? Do you know in some other way that it is the aperture, not magnification, that varies?

2) Why is the dim light from a shadow bluer than if the region was well lit?

Once again, the fine shadows cast by the thickness of a piece of white tape in the longitudinal CA tests make nice demonstrations of resolution. The shadow line looks broadest and fuzziest in the SE, and the Zeiss edges the Atlas just a wee bit, or that's how it looks to me.

Thanks for the great report,
Ron

1) Over on CN, EdZ reports that magnification is higher at closer distances, with internally-focussing binoculars. I don't think he actually measures magnification per se, but bases this on the varying size of the exit pupil, and the assumption that the true aperture doesn't change. Are you measuring the exit pupil but turning his assumptions around? Do you know in some other way that it is the aperture, not magnification, that varies?

I think this is exactly the effect were seeing.

The exit pupil change from 41/39 would be caused by a 5% change in magnification which doesn't seem unreasonable.

The only other explanation would be the aperture is actually changing (by being stopped by the focusing lens ... that's the only part that moves and so he only part that would change the aperture if it was too small). But in these Chinese ED bins the (positive) focusing lens is the same size as the objective lens (and quite close to it) so I don't see that as a reasonable explanation for this.

Henry,
I really enjoyed reading your report, and the photo methods are impressive. I hope you won't mind a couple of questions.

2) Why is the dim light from a shadow bluer than if the region was well lit?

Once again, the fine shadows cast by the thickness of a piece of white tape in the longitudinal CA tests make nice demonstrations of resolution. The shadow line looks broadest and fuzziest in the SE, and the Zeiss edges the Atlas just a wee bit, or that's how it looks to me.

Thanks for the great report,
Ron

Thanks Ron,

The answer to question 1 is that I measure the aperture directly by placing a transparent ruler across the objective and sighting through the binocular eyepiece with a magnifier (30mm FL eyepiece). So, changes in magnification and exit pupil size have no effect. Most good binoculars I've measured have been within 1mm of the specified aperture, but I've found some extreme examples of internal stop downs of as much as 20% of the specified aperture in some inexpensive binoculars. EdZ has found the same thing.
The Intrepid results are puzzling. I assumed at first that the focusing element was undersized so that it impinged on the light cone in its forward position at close focus. Further examination with the magnifier seemed to suggest that wasn't true. If I still had the binoculars I would investigate some more.

As for question 2 I'm not so sure about the physics. Perhaps the shadow areas in sunlight are mainly illuminated by scattered blue light from the sky? I cooked up a demonstration of the effect below. I photographed the same white piece of paper used in the color bias tests in sunlight, but cast a shadow on the left side. I think it is obvious that it appears dark blue, but to emphasize the color difference in the small inserts I lightened a crop of shadow and darkened a crop of the sunlit side to bring them to approximately the same light value. This difference in color temperature is why cameras need a different white balance setting for shade vs sunlight. I suspect Ron (Surveyor) and Ed (Elkcub) could give you a better answer.

Henry

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 171
“True Aperture: Curiously the 8x42 had a little less than the 10x42. The 8x42 varies with focusing distance from about 39mm at close focus to 41mm at infinity focus. The 10x42 varies with focus from 40mm to 42mm.”

Henry;

I have just checked the Promaster apertures at infinity and 2-meter focus. I took 2 reading of each tube, one with the glass as close as possible to on axis and the other by moving the glass to get a maximum reading (but hard to focus). It confirms your measurements very well. I just never thought to measure at different foci and had just checked at infinity focus.

The results were:

Set 1 @ 10x:

On Axis;

-------Left Side----------------------- Right Side
Inf= 20 to 60.5 mm=40.5 mm----- 83.5 to 124 mm= 40.5 mm----- IPD=63.5
2 m= 21 to 60 mm= 40 mm -------84.5 to 123 mm= 38.5 mm----- IPD=63.25

Allowed off axis

--------Left Side----------------------- Right Side
Inf=20 to 61 mm= 41 mm---------83.5 to 123.5 mm= 40 mm------IPD=63
2m=21 to 60 mm= 39 mm---------84.5 to 123 mm= 38.5 mm----- IPD=63.25

Set 2 @ 5x:

On Axis;

-------Left Side---------------------- Right Side
Inf=15 to 56= 41 mm--------------78 to 119 mm= 41 mm---------IPD=63
2 m= 16 to 55= 39 mm------------79 to 118 mm= 39 mm----------IPD=63

Allowed off axis

-------Left Side--------------------------Right Side
Inf= 14 to 56 mm= 42mm-----------77.5 to 120 mm= 42.5 mm----IPD=63.75
2 m=15 to 55.5 mm= 40.5 mm-------78 to 119 mm= 41 mm-------IPD=63.25

The on-axis infinity aperture was about 40.75 mm and the 2 m aperture was about 39.125 mm for a difference of 1.625 mm, I think the confidence level of these would be about 0.5 mm.

Allowing off-axis measurements, the infinity reading was 41.375 mm and 39.75 at 2 m, a difference of 1.625 mm.

I have no explanation for this. I wonder if the field stop may be just a shade closer to the real image than the effective principle point of the first lens and interacting with either a small magnification change or, perhaps, a small change in the objective effective focal length with the focusing lens movement.

I spent some time yesterday with your color procedure with some promising results. I have never had a FL or SE to get transmission data on so I am limited to comparing with the curves I have for the Promaster. I do have a couple of questions before I go further:

Did you use direct reflection from the card or use a diffuser?
Did you use the camera white balance or turn it off?
Did you use the program mode or fully manual mode?

BTW, thanks for posting your findings. I have a pretty fair idea of the man-hours spent here, probably more than you anticipated when you started.

Have a good day.
Ron

Thanks Ron. Always good to have measurements confirmed even if we don't know what's going on.

In answer to your questions, I'm afraid I didn't have time to be very careful. Sunlight was direct reflection. I couldn't even find the white paper I used last time, so I substituted paper that's a warmer white. White balance was set to sunlight (I don't know how to turn it off) and I used manual mode since I didn't want the exposure to vary.

With the very impressive optics lab you've assembled I think you could do all of this much better than I can with my crude backyard stuff.

Henry

Hi Henry, When you said this:

"the left barrels of both binoculars showed coma, from misaligned optics, possibly a byproduct of collimation."

You were not saying that this binocular was out of collimation right? I had someone misunderstand this. I took it as the binocular had misaligned optics and they collimated the binocular and this cause the coma.
Regards,Steve

Yep, that's right. I guessed that the coma in the left sides might have been required to achieve good collimation between the left and right barrels. I forgot to mention that, while I didn't have time to measure it, the collimation of both pairs appeared to be excellent.

Henry

Last edited:
Thank you Henry for this information. If I remember right Ron's [Surveyor]Promaster's were out a little, nothing to worry about.[collimation] It didn't bother me.
Regards,Steve

I guessed that the coma in the left sides might have been required to achieve good collimation between the left and right barrels.

Henry,

Could you explain this in more detail please?

The way I interpreted that comment was that the designer/manufacturer intentionally provided a less than optimal level of optical performance in the left barrel in order to achieve proper collimation. Is this correct? Why would this be the case?

This post was delayed because I’ve been camping in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park this past week. I spent a few hours with these binoculars before I left, concentrating on the 8x42 because I have a Zeiss FL 8x42 for comparison and because I’m just more interested in that configuration. So, what follows are some measurements and tests I was able to do over that time, not a complete review.

True Aperture: Curiously the 8x42 had a little less than the 10x42. The 8x42 varies with focusing distance from about 39mm at close focus to 41mm at infinity focus. The 10x42 varies with focus from 40mm to 42mm.

Eye Relief: 8x42 – 20mm from the eyelens, 15mm from the rim of the fully collapsed eyecup. 10x42 - 18mm from the eyelens, 13mm from the eyecup.

FOV: I didn’t measure this directly, but I carefully compared the FOV of the 8x42 to the Zeiss 8x56 FL and Nikon 8x32 SE, which were the closest in FOV among my binoculars. The 8x42 Intrepid fell neatly between the two, which would put it around 390’-393’ (close enough to Steve’s 396’ measurement). I didn’t measure the 10x42.

Resolution measured at 64x (8x42), 80x (10x42): The four barrels varied from about 3.5 arc sec in the right barrel of the 8x42 to about 4 arc sec in the right barrel of the 10x42. Not good enough for alpha class bragging rights, but perfectly fine. There is much more detail in the image than the eye can see at normal magnification.

Star Test at 64x, (8x42), 80x (10x42): The right barrel of the 8x42 was quite good by binocular standards. The only obvious problem was the expected spherical aberration. All the other barrels had about the same amount SA. I’ve seen less in the best binoculars, but also more in some very expensive ones. The left barrels of both binoculars showed coma, from misaligned optics, possibly a byproduct of collimation. The right barrel of the 10x42 showed some astigmatism, which probably explains its relatively worse resolution measurement. One really good barrel out of four ain’t bad when it comes to binoculars of any price and none of the defects were severe enough for me to notice any effect at normal magnification in daylight. The astigmatism in the 10x42 could soften the image in low light when the full aperture is used. I also star tested the good barrel of the 8x42 stopped down to 30mm to simulate daylight use. As expected, the 30mm the star test was substantially improved as a result of reduced SA.

Chromatic Aberration: Longitudinal CA is very well corrected for a binocular, indicating that the ED glass really does do what it’s supposed to do. The attached photo below on the left shows the cross-shaped center of my CA target as imaged through three binoculars: a conventional achromatic doublet (Nikon 8x32 SE) on the left, the Intrepid 8x42 in the middle and the Zeiss 8x42 FL on the right. The purple fringe in the SE image is typical longitudinal CA found in fast binocular optics, which you can see is almost absent in the other two. I should add that this is worst case CA from the entire objective. In daylight at 8X, even the obvious purple fringe seen in the SE image is not visible at all.

Control of lateral color (Transverse CA) in the 8x42 Intrepid is about average for binoculars. Lateral color is the type of color fringing you can actually see in binoculars in bright light. It becomes stronger away from the field center, but can sometimes be seen in the very middle if the eye is slightly decentered. Some expensive roof prism binoculars with complex objectives have quite a lot of this form of CA. The 8x42 Intrepid shows slightly less lateral color than the 8x42 FL. It has about the same amount as the 8x56 FL, which is a good result for a binocular of this type, but the 8x32 SE or most any other simple Porro has less than any of these.

Off Axis Sharpness: The 8x42 is similar to the Zeiss 8x42 FL (perhaps a little worse), which is to say it’s not particularly good. The off-axis deterioration is dominated by astigmatism just as it is in the FL. The center 20 degrees or so of apparent field is OK, but outside of that area astigmatism gradually increases until there is about 3-4 diopters difference between the sagittal and tangential foci at the edge of the field. Field curvature is low in the sense that the best focus at the edge (midpoint between the sagittal and tangential foci) is less than 1 diopter different from the center field focus. The 10x42 is similar, but perhaps slightly better.

Distortion: As in most binoculars there is pincushion distortion, a bit more in this case than is strictly needed to eliminate the “rolling globe” effect. The amount is about the same as the Zeiss 8x42 FL.

Light Transmission and Color Bias: I used the photo method I described a few months ago to compare the 8x42 Intrepid to the 8x42 FL and 8x32 SE, two binoculars with state of the art light transmission, but different color bias. The right image below shows sunlight reflecting from a piece of white paper. The three small squares in the center show the light after it passes through the optics of the three binoculars. The surrounding area is direct reflection from the paper to the camera. The Intrepid is the square at the upper left, the SE at the upper right.

The Intrepid result is actually quite good for a binocular using a Schmidt-Pechan prism with silver mirror coating. This image can’t be compared directly to the ones I made of other binoculars under different conditions and should be considered only as an approximation of light transmission, but from what I see I think the Intrepid is certainly dimmer than the alpha Schmidt-Pechan roofs that use dielectric mirror coating (as it should be with silver coating), but brighter than the silver coated Nikon LX-L, with which it shares a red bias. The warm bias probably indicates a relatively steep roll off in transmission from green through violet rather than a really sharp peak in the red. As I recall Ron’s (Surveyor) measurement of the light transmission of the sibling (identical?) Promaster binocular shows that kind of transmission curve. Reduced blue can give optics a snappy high contrast look because the cool shadow areas are slightly darkened compared to the warm sunlit areas and the daylight adapted eye may see an image with reduced blue as sharper because blue can’t quite be brought to common focus with the yellow/green to which the eye is most sensitive in daylight.

BTW, you can also see the warm color bias in the CA test images. Notice the slightly pink target cross and the warm black background in the Intrepid image compared to the nearly neutral Zeiss. The Nikon SE also has a slight red bias, but less than the Intrepid.

Flare Control: I wouldn’t expect any special problems with veiling glare, as I didn’t see any unusually bad internal reflections near the exit pupil. I did find the Intrepid to have superb resistance to ghosting, as good as any binocular I’ve seen.

That’s all the information I could gather in the time I had. The tests indicate very impressive optics for a $350 binocular. In fact, I would say the Intrepids are fully state of the art in two categories: freedom from longitudinal CA and ghosting. I thought the weakest ares of performance were off-axis astigmatism, light transmission and color bias, though none of those were really bad, just well below the state of the art. I didn’t use the binoculars under field conditions, so I don’t have any overall conclusions, but I did notice the very slow focus, which I know I don’t like from my years of using an early Swarovski EL.

Nice review Henry! It's interesting to see that your tests confirm what I am seeing through these binoculars. A superb image. Can't wait to get the Zen Ray 7x36 ED2's. With the improvements they made including dielectric prisms they should be a quite nice pair of binoculars for $370.00.

Dennis

Last edited:
Frank,

I'm not sure how these binoculars are collimated, but collimation is typically done by moving only one element in the optical train, which causes it to move out of alignment with the other elements.

I think the easiest to understand example is eccentric objective rings. The objective lens is mounted within two eccentric rings. If the rings are aligned so that the thickest part of one ring lines up with the thinnest part of the other then the objective is perfectly centered within its cell and for the sake of this example we'll say it's also perfectly aligned with the eyepiece. If the left and right images don't merge when two such telescopes are put together with a hinge between them then one or both of the objectives will need to be moved laterally by rotating the eccentric rings until both telescopes optically align with the hinge and each other. Unfortunately that moves the objective off center with the eyepiece and introduces coma. Fortunately it takes a lot of coma to really mess up the low magnification image of a binocular.

Of course this isn't the only possible source of coma, but it's the one that's inherent in binocular design.

Henry

Thank you Henry. I do believe I understand the concept now.

I think this must fall back to an assumption I made on the tolerances of current manufacturing processes. I had always just assumed that it was possible to creat tight enough tolerances to eliminate this type of collimation issue. Apparently I was wrong.

Thank you Henry. I do believe I understand the concept now.

Good morning, FrankD;

I will add a comment, actually a supposition, to Henry’s comments. Since a majority of people are right handed and may have a right master eye I think makers and repairmen favor, and hold, the right side adjustments. I do not know this to be fact but a large majority of the binoculars I have tested have had the best results on the right side.

Have a good day.
Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back