• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird watchin tips (1 Viewer)

Hi there, I'd guess from your post you're a beginner ..(?) .. Maybe one place would be spend a bit of time going through the other threads in this 'tips for new birders' section.

Then just get a pair of bin's (cheap ones from Jessops etc are perfectly adequate for a start) ... and take yourself off somewhere ... away into the countryside perhaps, or your own back garden, rspb reserve perhaps

A field bird id book might also be useful, there are plenty about .... try Ottakers, WH Smith, Waterstones etc

Hope thats of use ...... but be warned .... it can be Very Addictive !!

Advice needed: nesting house finches

thefunkylobster said:
Hey everyone
Even tho Ive had an interest in birds for a long time I have only recemtly started bird Watching.
Has anyone any tips?
Thank you

I hasten to say I've never been a birder and never aspired to become one, but a pair of house finches have adopted me and I feel a great sense of responsibility. I live on the 23rd floor of a east-facing condo in downtown Toronto, Canada and a pair are nesting in a garden basket. Yesterday, I heard the female sounding quite aggitated and, sure enough, there was an egg. This morning, she laid a second one. What should I do, or not do? I remember I was told as a child never to touch an egg, and I leave them alone when they're in residence. But what happens when it gets warm and I start spring cleaning on the balcony? And what when it gets really hot and we start eating outside? Will they become tame? How long does it take from the laying of the egg to the hatching, and how long from the hatching to the little ones becoming independent? It's very exciting being about 6 ft. from the action, and they don't seem to mind our moving around inside the condo and watching them. Our windows cover the entire 17 ft. balcony. Nor do they start when I open the door to hear him sing. But what now? Should I start putting out seed or just mind my own business. All advice most welcome. Cheers from the great lone land.

rodneyjohn said:
I hasten to say I've never been a birder and never aspired to become one, but a pair of house finches have adopted me and I feel a great sense of responsibility. I live on the 23rd floor of a east-facing condo in downtown Toronto, Canada and a pair are nesting in a garden basket. Yesterday, I heard the female sounding quite aggitated and, sure enough, there was an egg. This morning, she laid a second one. What should I do, or not do? I remember I was told as a child never to touch an egg, and I leave them alone when they're in residence. But what happens when it gets warm and I start spring cleaning on the balcony? And what when it gets really hot and we start eating outside? Will they become tame? How long does it take from the laying of the egg to the hatching, and how long from the hatching to the little ones becoming independent? It's very exciting being about 6 ft. from the action, and they don't seem to mind our moving around inside the condo and watching them. Our windows cover the entire 17 ft. balcony. Nor do they start when I open the door to hear him sing. But what now? Should I start putting out seed or just mind my own business. All advice most welcome. Cheers from the great lone land.
Hi rodneyjohn,

On behalf of all the Admin Staff and Moderators, let me welcome you to BirdForum.

Simply, I would leave them alone and not worry too much... but I'll let some of our Can/US members give you any more sepcific advice.

:t:

thefunkylobster said:
Hey everyone
Even tho Ive had an interest in birds for a long time I have only recemtly started bird Watching.
Has anyone any tips?
Thank you
Enjoy It!!!

:t: :t: :t:

Hey, lobster, I've been interested in birding for a while but only been serious for just over a year now. A good pair o' bins and that Collins book!! Some tips on what not to do - Don't subscribe to text/e-mail alerts!!!! Apart from the initial cash to subscribe, you'll find yourself forking out a several hundred quid in petrol money travelling all over the blinking place!! I went onto the Birdguides.com website and got the e-mail notification subscription for my area - I get around 20 alerts per day!! I awoke one morning and checked my e-mails, as you do, and saw that there were a few Marsh Harriers at Blacktoft Sands. What did I do? I phoned my boss to tell her that I'd been up all night with vomitting and .....sorry I can't spell diahorrea???....and that I wouldn't be at work today!!! Shame!!! It's very addictive - I even dream of those nice Swarowski binoculars!!

jgrattigan said:
............. I even dream of those nice Swarowski binoculars!!
:D

It's when you start dreaming of strange birds and then spend the next day trying to ID it that you know you've got a problem!!

thefunkylobster said:
Hey everyone
Has anyone any tips?
Thank you
Hi Lobster ;)

Like most others, I'm going to suggest you get yourself a decent pair of binoculars and a good field guide. When you choose your bins, don't be tempted by anything that has a magnification of more than 10x (especially if they are really cheap!!)

If you have a garden, putting up a feeder or two and studying the birds that visit them will give you the chance to practice your ID skills (and your new bins!) in comfort!

Most importantly of course is to enjoy it!! :t:

Hi, funky. I'd just add that, if you're interested in seeing a good variety of woodland or farmland birds, you'll maximise your chances by getting out as soon after dawn as you can. Although you can see birds at any time of day (especially at this time of year when they're singing), they're most active before about 10 a.m. After that it goes distinctly quieter.

On estuaries it's different since the action is governed by the tides. Depending on how the estuary in question is best viewed, look for the birds either at their high-tide roost (you'd need to ask to find where these are) or, at low tide, out on the mudflats.

I have been birding for about two years, and still consider myself very much a "new" birder. In addition to the very good advice already given, I would add, start a life list of birds you have seen, and enjoy adding to it. However, don't get caught up in comparing your list to other peoples' lists, or thinking of it as a competition. The size of your list will have much more to do with where you live and how much money you can afford to spend on bird related travel, than on how "good" a birder you are. It took me a while to realize this.

SimonC said:
:D

It's when you start dreaming of strange birds and then spend the next day trying to ID it that you know you've got a problem!!

now i know i'm in trouble. i have a "memory" of a bird and remember that i wanted to rush home to my bird guide to identify it. but now i'm not sure if it was real or it was a dream.

c

thefunkylobster said:
Has anyone any tips?

Yup: Do not start by going on trips for rarities. It will take a while before you are really able to appreciate them.

Get a good guide book. The best in Danish is by Mullarney, Svensson & Zetterström.

Pace yourself - get acquainted with the more common species first. Get to know the different bird families (from a guide).

Get to know the songs. Start with the most common and characteristic (easiest) like yellowhammer, chiffchaff, willow warbler, chaffinch, white throat and so on. When you know these, you can use them for comparison with the more difficult species. Also, it's easier to mentally filter something away, if you know it (if you're listening for something interseting and donøt want to pay attention to something more common)

Take notes: Write a list of the birds you've seen every time you're out, and make a list of all the bird you've seen - it can be useful to make a list of "maybe seens". too

Have fun. :cool:

- Henrik

Vehicles

Are there any recomendations for mpv,s for birding? I currently drive a suzuki wagon r, auto,but will be changing it next year. Something a little more roomier would be ideal ,but must have a boot big enough for folding wheelchair. Any suggestions most welcome,

Go outside and look for birds. Ignore the large two footed mammals, their doings are boring and predictable.

thefunkylobster said:
Hey everyone
Has anyone any tips?
Thank you

The first thing to do is find a friendly, experienced birder because it is the best way to learn quickly. I learned more in one day on a bird race trip around Anglesey with Dr Richard Arnold than at any other time as a birder. The second tip is to cram in all the knowledge you can about familiar bird species with the easiest and most accessible being house sparrows, magpies, starlings and blue tits. Keep adding species to your list in terms of getting to know them and you will soon build up a good knowledge. Most people could easily start off with confidence of at least 25 species. When identifying unfamiliar birds, take the Bill Oddie adage of assuming the bird is common in the first instance. In fact, the commonest mistake made is to look in the guides and assume the bird is rare because it does not fit the illustrations exactly. For example, a blue tit with an abnormal bill or a blackbird with white patches is just that. Bird guides are getting better but they still have limitations and this is where an experienced head comes in. Finally, find your own level so that you can enjoy your birding. There are people that collect species (listers or twitchers) or people who enjoy making detailed notes of behaviour (ornithologists). Everyone is a bit of each and just about everything in between so there is plenty of scope for doing whatever you want.

Welcome to a lifelong obsession!

keep away from canoes entirely, never mind standing up in them

if possible:
go to Norfolk
learn commoner birds and calls and sketch what you see
then....
go to a rainforest
go to a desert
see a hummingbird
see a hornbill
join a bird conservation group
green your lifestyle
enjoy it all

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back