• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macro a200 sony lens (1 Viewer)

Hedgeland

Just after a little advice on macro lens for sony A200.

Have seen things like Minolta 28 - 80mm lens f1:3.5-5.6 D Macro (like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280368966678) but is this just wasting money??

I dont have loads of money to spend so was just after something quite cheap to try a little macro work out (ie plants and inverts).

I appreciate this would not give the same results as designated lens for about £400 but just want advise on something I could get to try out a new aspect to broaden my photography.

thanks in advance
H

H I use the Sigma 105mm but started with the 1:2 mode of 70-300mm. My first proper macro lens was a vivtar 100mm. Set me back £100 new.

Just after a little advice on macro lens for sony A200.

Have seen things like Minolta 28 - 80mm lens f1:3.5-5.6 D Macro (like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280368966678) but is this just wasting money??

I dont have loads of money to spend so was just after something quite cheap to try a little macro work out (ie plants and inverts).

I appreciate this would not give the same results as designated lens for about £400 but just want advise on something I could get to try out a new aspect to broaden my photography.

thanks in advance
H

Hi Hedgeland,
I own a A200 too and have been into macro photography for a while.
before you purchase a dedicated macro lens, you could consider other options such as closeup filters, extension tubes, or bellows.
I've used eBay and purchased a few second hand lens/bellows/extension tubes to experiment with. You can find more information on my experiments here http://www.micromacroscopy.com/. hope this helps.

cheers for advice

I know you get what you pay for but for cheap tricks do the below work?? Is this the kind of thing you can just screw to end of existing kit ense for a bit of playing about before you take the big step of a good purpose macro.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MACRO-Close-U...rkparms=65:12|66:4|39:1|72:1690|293:1|294:200

Yes, they are fine as a first step. They screw in to the front of any lens with a 55mm thread. I have written a post about the close up filter set that I first used. You can read it here

for £12 you cant really go wrong and if I get anywhere with it I'll save for a proper one.

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll post some photos :)

Thanks for your replies and your web link
H

First macro shts using the +10 filter

So here is a sample of my first attempt at macro - using the +10 filter on the end of the 18-70 kit lens.
Any comments or suggestions welcome but should be able to get out for some more practice this weekend.

regards
H

Attachments

• Macro take 1.doc
    1.8 MB · Views: 136
So here is a sample of my first attempt at macro - using the +10 filter on the end of the 18-70 kit lens.
Any comments or suggestions welcome but should be able to get out for some more practice this weekend.

regards
H

Excellent, those are lovely shots, you`ve worked the limited depth of field well to your advantage. Looking forward to more.

take 2

been having a trial with the filters as seen in the attached.

Photo 2 - i played around by putting the +10 and +4 together but you seem to lose too much depth so only limited area of focus

same with photo 4 but managed to get the eyes almost in focus

I am happy with how photo 2 almost looks 3D.

Just need to find some more inverts and hope the wind dies down.

All these shots were taken hand heldso quite a few dont maintain focus, especially with the 2 lens filter things.
H

Attachments

• macro 2.doc
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back