• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured juvenile blackbird - Please help (1 Viewer)

AndreaMH

Can anyone help. I spotted a juvenile hopping around the garden a couple of days ago. At that point the parents were still feeding it. It soon became clear it has injured one leg (which it holds out to the side) and cannot fly properly. It is now 11.30pm and after hearing a thud at the patio door I found the bird cornered by a cat. I have brought it in and put it in a cardboard box with some bedding , food (bird seed which is probably inappropriate ?!)and water. What can I do to help it ?? If I let it out tomorrow in the light will it be OK or is there a speciaist who can help it in the Preston Lancs area ?? I really don't want to abandon it. Is there anything I can do ?|=(|

Can anyone help. I spotted a juvenile hopping around the garden a couple of days ago. At that point the parents were still feeding it. It soon became clear it has injured one leg (which it holds out to the side) and cannot fly properly. It is now 11.30pm and after hearing a thud at the patio door I found the bird cornered by a cat. I have brought it in and put it in a cardboard box with some bedding , food (bird seed which is probably inappropriate ?!)and water. What can I do to help it ?? If I let it out tomorrow in the light will it be OK or is there a speciaist who can help it in the Preston Lancs area ?? I really don't want to abandon it. Is there anything I can do ?|=(|

If it is struggling to hop / walk / fly it may have problems with your local cat, can you drive to a local vet first thing in the morning to get it assessed? You can at least get some advise on either what to do next or how to look after it. I guess worms are a good start as food

Andrea did you get to the vets for a "Cure""!! LOL

Seriously have you got anymore advise, indeed have you still got the bird?
Good luck
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back