• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Dipper migration (1 Viewer)

GalwayBirder

I saw a dipper the other day and decided to read about them. Then I heard that they migrate. I have 2 questions:
Are Dippers migratory? And where do they migrate to?

I had an odd Dipper record in September last year of possibly a migrating bird. We get them on the river that runs past the bottom of the garden, but this one was heading south way in the distance and quite high up. If I hadn't been scoping through the gangs of Black-headed Gulls heading towards the coast to roost I never would have picked it up, and even when I did it was so out of context (and distant) that it took a few moments to figure out what the hell it was.

James

I cant speak for others but the dippers on my patch are there all year round, I am guaranteed to see them any day I look for them.
Regards
Ian

I think that they disperse after the breeding season but I carnt say i've ever heard of them migrating. Birds of the continental form do appear from time to time generally along the east and south coasts of Britain. So they can travel quite a distance when dispersing.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back