• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adapter plate for Meade (1 Viewer)

yornotelppa

I recently pulled an old telescope out of the closet to try my hand at digiscoping. I also recently purchased a Canon A590 on clearance sale to use with the telescope. I've successfully coupled the camera to the telescope which by the way appears to be a old Meade ETX 90 but the only markings to identify it are on the bottom and don't mention any model number but just 90mm F=1250 f/13.8.

Camera and telescope

Camera and telescope

I'm looking for some way to mount this on a tripod as I've already got a heavy duty tripod. Googling I've seen back 5 or 6 years ago there were some adapter plates made that would bolt onto the bottom of the Meade and then attach to a "camera" style tripod. I didn't have any luck finding anyone that current has such plates. Are they still available?

A second question, has anyone removed Meade ETX telescope off it's existing base and elevation mount and mounted it directly to a "camera" style tripod?

Thanks for any direction you might give,

Roy

The ETX-90 can be removed from the plastic fork mount by removing four set screws with an appropriately sized allen wrench. The screws (two on each side) are found near the rear of the scope. Remove all four screws, then pull the scope body to the rear while carefully applying slight pressure to separate the plastic fork mounts. There is a built in standard tripod mount on the bottom rear of the scope. Complete instruction manual can be downloaded here:

http://www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeManuals/ETXtelescopes/ETX-90_105_125EC_man.pdf

bluedubius, thanks for the information, I looked through the manual but didn't find any information on removing the telescope from the mount but after looking the telescope over closely I see the screws on the back that you were referring to. I also see that there are two screw holes on the bottom of the telescope barrel for tripod attachment.

Thank you very much for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back