• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Breydon Water, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Half an hours wander round Herbert Barnes park, on the southern shore of Breydon Water shortly after dinner.

Very pleased to see on the path by the concrete jetty .. first of the year ....
2 male Northern Wheatear

And across on the mudbanks -
~25 Curlew
~40 Black-tailed Godwit, many looking very handsome in summer plumage
2 Bar-tailed Godwit
2 Avocet
4 Shelduck
mixed flock of smaller waders Redshank, Dunlins, Turnstone & a few Oystercatcher
mix of Lesser Blackbacked & Herring Gulls
a few Cormorants

Always great to see your first Wheatears. I was lucky enough to see them on a scree slope in Wales where they belong.

Bluetail said:
Traitor! They belong on Dartmoor!! ;)

Jason
Apologies! I have committed a very bad sin. Agreed they belong in Dartmoor (and the Devonian parts of Exmoor!).

I was implying the habitat, the Elan Valley is similar to Dartmoor but with bigger hills.

Last edited:
Carlos GY said:
Wales eh .... do they breed there ?
Well there were plenty of children about so I guess they do breed unless they import them. ;)

Seriously, there were loads of them and the habitat is right so they obviously do.

Just pulling your leg, Andrew, and I absolutely agree there's nothing like seeing them on their breeding grounds, wherever those may be!

Jason

Still, migration is very slow. My first Wheatear was at Lowestoft on 17th March. No local birders saw it so it appears I have strung it to wind them up HUH!

colin j said:
Still, migration is very slow. My first Wheatear was at Lowestoft on 17th March. No local birders saw it so it appears I have strung it to wind them up HUH!

Is there any reason why it should be slow this year? I've not been at this long enough. Decided to keep a note this year of when I see the first of each bird. Should help me in the future!

pduxon said:
Is there any reason why it should be slow this year? I've not been at this long enough. Decided to keep a note this year of when I see the first of each bird. Should help me in the future!

Yes same here, i seem to remember the same thing was said last year about migration being slow and breeding seasons cut short ... somthing to do with the weather in central Europe as i remember it.

Is it slow this year, or is it just that it's still early in the season ?

I think it is to do with wind speed & direction. Sunday proved that the birds are put down by this. Coupled with the cold weather migration is on hold. However I am sure whatever the weather the migrants will subsequently arrive. How they fare in breeding terms this year will need careful monitoring

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back