• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CF Card (1 Viewer)

jeff

I bought a 256Mb (Viking) CF card last week, but while out using it today, i got an error when writting to the card, i can access the images the images on the card using my card reader, but the camera wont let me use the card to take anymore pictures, just get 'error' message all the time. I have tried another CF card in the camera and that works fine, so def. a problem with the card.
Anyone got any tips on how i can get the new card to work again?

TIA

Jeff

Try formatting the card from the computer via the card reader first then format it again in camera - failing that, chuck it away!

Chuck it away!!! Send it back more like...

I don't think Nikon cameras like cards that have been formatted in WinXP or outside of the camera (it says this somewhere in the instructions booklet, if I recall). I wonder, has that been done on this card?

The camera should be able to format the card still - otherwise return it for an exchange.

Ooops, just re-read that it's nearly new! - yes if you don't get any joy with it send it back.

If the camera won't format it then doing it first in the computer is the general info given out in many forums/magazines, etc.

Thanks for the quick replies, I've now formatted it again using windows xp and the card reader as FAT. Seems to work fine again (or least for the moment it does), let's see how long it lasts this time (got to 93 images last time). As least i know what to do if it happens again, looks like i'm gonna have to buy a spare just to be on the safe side.

Many Thanks for you help.

This was my second attempt at trying digiscoping, nipped out to Brandon to get the new report and a kittiwake was around, so thought i'd get a bit of practice, but after a couple of shots the card went funny (typical), but did manage a couple of pictures before it did.

Attachments

• kittiwake2.jpg
    kittiwake2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
I had trouble with one of theirs too. After formatting it has worked okay as regards recording images but it sometimes shows horizontal banding. I only keep it in reserve.

Not a brand I'd recommend.

IanF said:
I had trouble with one of theirs too. After formatting it has worked okay as regards recording images but it sometimes shows horizontal banding. I only keep it in reserve.

Not a brand I'd recommend.

Thanks,

Any brands you would recommend. I'll have to buy another and keep this as a spare.

Nice shot of the Kittiwake.

I think there's so many cards out there (a lot made by Sandisk, apparently) that whatever one person recommends will be questioned by another as there's bound to be a few bad ones under any label.

if there's millions of cards around even a 99% success rate means a lot of bad cards getting through!

gthang said:
Try SanDisk CompactFlash, or better yet, and xD Picture Card, coupled with a CF adapter for your camera. xD Picture Cards are tiny little buggers, but hold (as of now) up to 512MB, and Olympus branded xD cards feature Panorama support.

Here's a picture of the adapter:
http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/a0/73/18_1_b.JPG

Here's the link to the online auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...8537251&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

I'll look into that adapter, i also have the Fuji S5000 which takes XD cards, so would be a good idea to just buy one type of card (save me some money), i could use them in both cameras then ;-)

Many thanks.

jeff said:
I'll look into that adapter, i also have the Fuji S5000 which takes XD cards, so would be a good idea to just buy one type of card (save me some money), i could use them in both cameras then ;-)

Many thanks.

Thanks,

I suppose it's the same with most things, there is always gonna be a few duff ones. I'll see how it goes over the next few days, but at least i know i can format it using the reader now :)

However I must make you aware of the following:

Posted on the Olympus America Website:
Note: Do not format an xD card while in the xD Compact Flash Adapter. xD cards should only be formatted in a digital camera with a built-in xD media slot.

Here's a link to the downloadable manual:
https://emporium.olympusamerica.com/innards/empFileDownload.asp?url=http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/accessories/man_macf10_e.pdf

Also, If you're traveling and you forget your compactflash PCMCIA adapter and/or flash memory reader, you could always have an xD PCMCIA adapter with you. Olympus also makes one of these, and there's SmartMedia Adapters as well, however, I'm not sure the SmartMedia adapter will fit into any cameras. It is bigger than a standard SM lengthwise, to account for the adapting technology on a teeny-tiny little thing like a Smart Media.

Mipettin has an Olympus C-740 (I do too!) and the camera has only the xD card slot. But he uses a compactFlash adapter to save him some money so he doesn't have to buy an xD PCMCIA Adapter, when he can just plug the xD Card into the CF Adapter and then the CF into the CF PCMCIA Adapter, or into the CF flash memory reader he already has.

xD Picture cards are extremely tiny. They are about 2mm thick, less than half-inch widthwise and lengthwise. Here's a picture of an xD card nearly the same size as the real one. It should be noted that this picture was compared on a 1024x768 monitor, and anyone using an 800x600 monitor will see a slightly bigger picture.
xd_stamp_card.jpg

Last edited:
jeff said:
Thanks,

Any brands you would recommend. I'll have to buy another and keep this as a spare.

Sandisk and Fuji have always been reliable for me and can be quite reasonable off eBay, though the digital camera mags have decent offers in nowadays too.

jeff said:
This was my second attempt at trying digiscoping, nipped out to Brandon to get the new report and a kittiwake was around, so thought i'd get a bit of practice, but after a couple of shots the card went funny (typical), but did manage a couple of pictures before it did.
We've had no problems whatever with a number of cards from www.7dayshop.com - and they are the lowest prices anywhere, I am sure. I was recommended them by an avid digiscoper on this forum so I think their quality is up to scratch.

If a card formats okay and then works, there shouldn't be a problem from then on. All the format does is make the card readable by the camera, so probably the start up info on it had become corrupt somehow.

scampo said:
We've had no problems whatever with a number of cards from www.7dayshop.com - and they are the lowest prices anywhere, I am sure. I was recommended them by an avid digiscoper on this forum so I think their quality is up to scratch.

If a card formats okay and then works, there shouldn't be a problem from then on. All the format does is make the card readable by the camera, so probably the start up info on it had become corrupt somehow.

7dayshop was where i got the current card from. The card formatted ok and i'd taken 90 odd pictures before anything went wrong, i guess something strange must of happened when the camera was writting to the card, this stopped the camera from using the card. Looks ok now i've formatted again, but i guess it's best getting another to be sure, no harm in having a spare, you never know i might fill it one day and need the spare ;-)

Thanks for all the advice.

All my cards have come from 7day shop and I have never had any problems. Also I frequently swop them around from a Canon 10D to a Nikon 4500 and often back again before they are full. They have then always downloaded O K to Adobe photoshop Album.

Interestingly, I've noticed that CP990 gives odd random problems with CF cards. For example, if I store >200 pictures on a card, after inserting it in my card reader, after copying across 180+ pictures to my computer, I get a card error. I then have to insert the card in my Olympus E100RS camera, copy from CF to Smartmedia to get the remaining pictures. If I use the same CF card in the Olympus and have > 200 pictures, there are no problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back