• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Outspan d-c sunbird species (1 Viewer)

Your double-collared sunbird. Northern and Eastern can be trick to ID from each other.
1. Northern double-collared Sunbird has a broad red on breast.
2. Eastern double-collared Sunbird has a narrow red on breast.

So was the red on the breast narrow or broad?

Thanks Shailesh

Well... how long's a piece of string? I thought it was on the narrow side... but I had nothing to compare it with.

Probably best to forget it and move on, I suppose.

Eastern tends to be higher up too , but they do overlap. Experts can tell them apart.

Mike D , normally in Nairobi but currently at home in Dorset !

Thanks Shailesh

Well... how long's a piece of string? I thought it was on the narrow side... but I had nothing to compare it with.

Probably best to forget it and move on, I suppose.

Thanks Mike D

Well, at about 1800m this is quite high... but I guess I'll never know. 'Experts can tell them apart' - so that rules me out. I'm going to stick with Eastern as that is what I identified it as at the time. I'm hoping a friend might be able to come up with a photo when he sorts them out, but I'm not even sure that would do it.

Thanks for your help.

Ken - normally (and currently) in Dorset. Only briefly in Nairobi!

Thanks

The more research I do, the more it looks like both species occur at the site.

Have a good trip!

Ken

I have asked Brian Finch , our expert of experts , he should know . Will have an answer next week , going back there tomorrow night

Mike D

Thanks Mike D

Well, at about 1800m this is quite high... but I guess I'll never know. 'Experts can tell them apart' - so that rules me out. I'm going to stick with Eastern as that is what I identified it as at the time. I'm hoping a friend might be able to come up with a photo when he sorts them out, but I'm not even sure that would do it.

Thanks for your help.

Ken - normally (and currently) in Dorset. Only briefly in Nairobi!

Thanks for that. I thought it was probably Eastern when I was there so I'm not going to 'tick' either - I'll just have to come back for another look... one day.

Thanks for asking
Ken

Think both of them are common at Outspan.I have seen eastern double coloured with a good blue on the brest and rump down chania river next to outspan hotel/hospital.

Think both of them are common at Outspan.I have seen eastern double coloured with a good blue on the brest and rump down chania river next to outspan hotel/hospital.

Thanks, Nicky. I must admit that from trip reports (and maps / fieldguides) it does appear that both probably occur. I'm pretty sure I saw Eastern. It's certainly worth others being aware that they could see either here. I was so glad I stayed over (rather than taking a night at Treetops) as the birding was excellent just around the gardens. Well worth it.

Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back