• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

spanish vultures (1 Viewer)

sukomoco

nearly 300 vultures have been reintroduced in Italian and French national parks, coming from Spain...this is a great notice isn't it?If we notice that vulture populastion in Italy was nearly unnexistent..

Welcome to the forum sukomoco.

It would be great if vultures could regain some of the breeding areas they once held throughout Europe. I was very impressed to see such huge numbers of Griffon Vultures across Spain last year and what seemed like healthy populations of Black Vulture in Extremadura. I hope the conservation success in Spain can serve as an example for other countries with vulture populations.

E

Hello again sukomoco,

This is good news.

Let's all hope the reintroduction is fully succesful for the long term! :t:

Hi! I'm a bit ignorant on the situation of vultures in Europe, but I still have a question... Do the "spanish vultures" and the "italian/french vultures" are considered the same population? If not, I would see a problem here, due to the fact that the genetic pool of the "italian/french population" will be diluted in the genetic pool coming from elsewhere. On the other side, if they are considered to be the same population, this is very good news!!!

The Spanish vultures are the same subspecies as in Italy & France. No probs there... Also, Vultures are wellknown for flying long distances. Rarely a few even manage to get all the way up to northern Europe! Slowly (very slowly that is, we're probably talking at very least 50-100 years), if given the chance, the Italian/French population would have had a natural input from other populations with a surplus (like the Spanish). So, in this case, we're just speeding things up a bit... helping nature so to speak

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back