• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh Farm - from the horse's mouth (1 Viewer)

bradinho

Hey,

Seeing as though I cannot find a thread specifically devoted to IMF I thought that I'd start one. I shall try:

• post regular sightings
  • list events
  • give updates on news
  • answer any queries
  • well you get the picture, if you think of anything ask!

Today's birds include:

2 Curlew Sandpipers
6 Ruff
Ringtail H Harrier
at least 3 lesser whitethroats
spotted flycatcher

Later

Thanks Steve

Inner Marsh Farm this evening,
Wood Sand,
Curlew Sand x2
Merlin female,
Ruff x7,
Hobby x2,
Marsh Harrier x2,
Little Egret x88.
SS........... images on my blog.
http://steveseal.blogspot.com/

Hi Steve, just wanted to say thanks. What for? Well, I have just started bird watching and I treated myself to a Canon 500d and a Sigma 150-500 OS lens and went out with it yesterday. I wish I knew what I was doing. I want to know everything all on day one. Doesn't work like that, does it? Well, I just went on to your web page re. IMF and clicked on the "Photography for Beginners" link. Fantastic. Just what I have been looking for. Thanks again and I will come down to IMF week beginning 21st. God Bless. Paul.

Great thread. IMF is one of my favourite reserves and where I ended up joining the RSPB - any news on the extension?

News on the extension is this - if you look from the bench(or path before) you can see over to the far side behind the pools. You may have noticed that several dithces have appeared - these were created by the RSPB's Rotary Ditcher(only one in Europe) in a matter of 5 days (convential methods est. to take 70 days) and they total over 4000m! Already they are filling up with water and have had birds move into them, the intention is for them to provide habitat for lapwing, redshank, snipe etc. This completes "Phase One" of the habitat creation next step is to create the large scrape/islands that will be in front/surround the hide...

Inner Marsh Farm this evening, Wood Sand still present, Curlew Sands have now departed, female Marsh Harrier over back of the pool, and 8 Ruff on hide pool. Small number of Little Egrets were arriving when i left, and 2 Stonechat were along the top path .
Images on my blog.
Regards Steve...............:t:
http://steveseal.blogspot.com/

Great Place

Inner Marsh Farm, one of my favourite reserves. I'll follow the thread with interest.

PS I'm dying to see a Merlin, when is the best time to see one ?

Merlin is around IMF, but you will have to put the time in to see it. Also Burton Marsh and nearby Parkgate are a good bet.
Steve ..........

Excellent evening visit to IMF today saw:

2 Pec Sands [wondered why the car park was unusually busy when I arrived!]
Green Sand
Golden Plover
Lapwings
Greenshank
Redshank
Loads of teal and egrets

and a lifer for me a water rail - shot isn't going to win any prizes but had literally ten seconds to grab a shot and the camera was set for the Pec Sands in the sun when the Rail walked out in the shade:eek!:

Attachments

• DSC_0521.jpg
    DSC_0521.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_0551.jpg
    DSC_0551.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Sorry Guys and Gals,
I missed the Pec Sands - but I guess I have to have a day off!
At least somebody gor a shot - Nice one Pitvar!

Green Sand
Golden Plover
Lapwings
Greenshank
Redshank
Loads of teal and egrets

and a lifer for me a water rail - shot isn't going to win any prizes but had literally ten seconds to grab a shot and the camera was set for the Pec Sands in the sun when the Rail walked out in the shade:eek!:

Looks like things are going well. Pec shot is one I need :t:

....and a lifer for me a water rail - shot isn't going to win any prizes but had literally ten seconds to grab a shot and the camera was set for the Pec Sands in the sun when the Rail walked out in the shade:eek!:

What time were you there? I came down in the evening and was present till they flew off at 6.30pm. Congrats on the Water Rail. :t:

Looks like things are going well. Pec shot is one I need :t:

I managed a couple of record shots myself. Not as good as Pitvars tho. The best ever shot i've had of Pec were on Scilly in the late 1990's. The bird actually walked underneath the hide where I was watching it. That was awesome!!!

CB

Thanks all.

Hi Marcus I was listening honest: left ISO at 200 and got 1/500 at f5.6 for some shots (300mm plus 2x to get 600mm) There were some pro photographers leaving as I arrived so they must have got some ace shots...

CB I was about 4th from the left - did we leave at the same time as well as being the last two at Parkgate watching the egrets fly in - unless you were the bloke in the Range Rover with the 4ft camera lens?? I would have said hello and thanks for all the help on here if I'd known!

Bradinho there are some really helpful people at IMF despite my beginners questions, always enjoy spending some time there.

Thanks all.

CB I was about 4th from the left - did we leave at the same time as well as being the last two at Parkgate watching the egrets fly in - unless you were the bloke in the Range Rover with the 4ft camera lens?? I would have said hello and thanks for all the help on here if I'd known!

I was next to the guy in the range rover. Yes i think we did leave IMF at the same time. You are my 4th BF member i've met, although i didnt know it at the time. The last two i met at the sabs gull but again didnt find out till later that they were BF members.

CB

The Pec Sands were seen for about an hour on Monday...no sign today though.

Anybody had a record of a Redwing on the reserve yet?

Pitvar - thanks for the positive comments I shall pass them on.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back