• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent - Ruddy Ducks (1 Viewer)

Mike Feely

Hi

Can anybody please put me in touch with the guys who managed to stop the culling of Ruddy Ducks at Wigan Flashes?

I've been tipped off about plans for my local patch and would like to talk to them about thier tactics.

Not sure where to post this, but i thought this mught be a good start - Mods, please move to a more relevany forum if necessary.

Many thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mike, if you have a look at the forum at Manchester Birding they'll help you out I'm sure - although I'm not sure they stopped much of the culling from looking at old threads the other week. There are still plenty being culled in the North West...

Mike,

The culling wasn`t stopped at the Wigan Flashes - it went ahead wave after wave. A local political party got involved (stirring up some local activists), the council came into the fray, local papers & TV joined in but sadly, at the end of the day, despite hitting some strong opposition it still went ahead. The Lancashire Wildlife Trust (who partly own the Flashes) were all for it.

Good luck with your battle, but don`t build your hopes up........

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm still trying to find out some more details about the impending cull at my patch - i'm led to believe that it is imminent.

Such a shame - we have 3 new broods of young this year, and as WeBS counter i know that "our" birds are pretty consistent in numbers throughout the year - ie they do not seem to be particularly migratory in any way.

Cheers

Mike

Hi mike,
I think you may have got some wires crossed somewhere, it was Woolsten Eyes that stopped them culling by simply not allowing them entry, but they are independent.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back