• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock Pipit (1 Viewer)

Neil Hagley

After catching up with the Monty's the other week and overhearing conversations on the subject of county listing, I finally got round to totting up my total for Leics & Rutland and was quite surprised when it came to a respectable 233 (now 234 with Smithy's Rosefinch). In the process however I spotted some glaring omissions. I don't know how but Rock Pipit is one of them, so RW is something of an attraction as RP has now been reported 2 days running. Can anyone help with some gen please? Is there a single bird and if so where is it? Many thanks if you can assist. Neil

Single bird on the draw-down shore at the end of the private road past Tim Appleton's house, quite far out from the grass (where you should stay) and mixed in with about 50 Meadow Pipits.
Also Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail there today, plus 4 Whooper Swans and 2 Black-necked Grebes out on the water.

Steve

thanks Steve
Single bird on the draw-down shore at the end of the private road past Tim Appleton's house, quite far out from the grass (where you should stay) and mixed in with about 50 Meadow Pipits.
Also Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail there today, plus 4 Whooper Swans and 2 Black-necked Grebes out on the water.

Steve

Hi Neil, away from Rutty Water Rock Pipit is a rare bird in the county but you could try the Charnwood Reservoirs or even some nearby sewage farms as Rock Pipits seem to like these sites in October (Wanlip comes to mind) as reported in the recent published avifauna.
Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Dave.

Thanks Dave
I've got a chance to check Rutty tomorrow morning. Steve mentioned the track. Is it OK to park down at the gate and walk out to the end of that grass track/strip? I only ask as it's been ages since I've been down there and I obviously want to follow the accepted protocol.
Hi Neil, away from Rutty Water Rock Pipit is a rare bird in the county but you could try the Charnwood Reservoirs or even some nearby sewage farms as Rock Pipits seem to like these sites in October (Wanlip comes to mind) as reported in the recent published avifauna.
Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Dave.

Had a good look today but no Rock Pipits. Yellow-legged Gull and 4 Whooper Swans was the best I could do. Steve found a juv Arctic Tern and Wheatear at the dam.

I finally managed to connect with Rock Pipit today. Steve found two at RW and was kind enough to leave messages with details, thanks Steve.
One was at Whitwell the other at what is fast becoming 'the' place for passage RP's, in the north arm beyond Tim's house. The 'north arm' pipit was certainly a new bird as it was carrying a ring. Rock and Water Pipits take A2 rings in the UK (same as Storm Petrel by the way, which just goes to show how small Stormie's are). The ring on the RW bird was very shiny silver, looked more robust and brighter than a UK A2, so I suspect a foreign ring. This is to be expected as most if not all these passage birds are immigrants. Thanks again for the various messages and texts. Just for the record my other county gaps include Bittern, skuas (of any description), Crag Martin (doh), W R Sand, Bearded Tit ... I think that's enough for now.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back