• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owls around Leeds (1 Viewer)

Step Hen

I would like some help seeing Little, Short-Eared, and Tawny Owls around Leeds. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I've seen a Little Owl around Eccup Village - last time it was perched on the ruined barn on the road into the village from Five Lane Ends (not the road that goes to the New Inn, the other one).

I would like some help seeing Little, Short-Eared, and Tawny Owls around Leeds. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Eccup generally can be good for Little Owls - I've seen them in several locations around there. Fairburn Ings RSPB has had roosting LEOs in the last few winters; Timble Ings, between Otley & Blubberhouses has had breeding birds. The odd SEO also turns up at Fairburn in the winter, but Swillington is probably a better bet. You can see summer SEOs on moorland around Leeds almost anywhere, but it needs patience. Tawny owls are not easy! They're everywhere where there's suitable woodland, but seeing them...! I suggest simply keeping your ears open is the first step.

Last edited:
We get tawny owl calling around where I live, heard them every year for the last 20 years, seen them twice in all that time, both times it was a lucky chance.
There are both SEO and LEO at Timble, I've seen SEO whilst on the main road from Otley driving to Blubberhouses, also seen little owl around there as well.

We get tawny owl calling around where I live, heard them every year for the last 20 years, seen them twice in all that time . . .

Yes - I've lived in Headingley, and now live in Moortown, and heard/hear Tawnies often, especially when the young are dispersing, but seeing them - I can think of four views in the last 30 years near my homes in Leeds. Seeing them was much easier when I lived almost over the Lancashire border on the Colne road from Cross Hills - and there were visible Little Owls around there too.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back