• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ38 Motion Picture upload problem? (1 Viewer)

Emma

I am having trouble transferring motion pictures from my SD card to my pc, for some reason they are transferring as still pictures and I can't seem to get the actual motion picture to play back! I have managed to transfer motion pics from my FZ18 in the past so I am wondering if the additional HD aspect to the FZ38 is making a difference? I have tried to upload them via the PHOTOfunSTUDIO software that came with the FZ38 but still to no avail!

Has anyone else had similar problems? If so could anyone give me some pointers as to where I might be going wrong!!!

Thank you!!

....so I am wondering if the additional HD aspect to the FZ38 is making a difference? I have tried to upload them via the PHOTOfunSTUDIO software that came with the FZ38 but still to no avail!

Thank you!!

My son had a similar suspicion with another camera, and he said he'd have to update the SD card software. But he has not done it yet, so I can't say for sure whether that will solve your problem. What I do now, however, is that videos taken with the new camera will not play in your old one. There, you will only get the stills. Panasonic writes that this is because they changed the audio processing in order to improve the results.

You may have to update your video playing software on the PC. (in other words, maybe your file is there without getting played).

Niels

Thank you Robert and Niels for your replies, I downloaded the latest Quicktime player and I could view the video via PHOTOfunSTUDIO but I still can't actually save it to my pc! I am really struggling to understand why I just can't seem to save it to my normal folders?!!!

Have any other FZ38 users had this problem? I have read that the files are saved as a .jpeg and a .mov file on the SD card and was wondering if I need to do something different to transfer them over?

Thank you Robert and Niels for your replies, I downloaded the latest Quicktime player ....Have any other FZ38 users had this problem? I have read that the files are saved as a .jpeg and a .mov file on the SD card and was wondering if I need to do something different to transfer them over?

Emma, I presume you now have a SDHC type card. And you probably did not use a HC card in your FZ18? That HC version may be the problem that may not be solved just with the new Quicktime download.

But I am not the one who can tell you for sure. Have you tried whether you have the same problems if you use a non-HC card? Or for that matter, the card type that did work in the FZ-18. You may also try, whether the download from your new camera works in the non-HD movie mode. If that one works, you may really need to update the video software in your PC, as Niels suggested.

Last edited:
If you are using a card reader try to do a direct cable transfer from the camera and vise versa (grapling for straws here).

Niels

Hi Emma,

My steam driven PC will not even run the PhotoFunStudio - however, I changed the movie format from AVCHD to Motion JPEG and now I can upload movies to my PC and run them.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back