• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Installing new RAM (PC100) Static problems (1 Viewer)

tuftyhill

I asked a question on this forum last year about installing more RAM. I have an old machine with just 128MB at the moment.
I've at last bought another 128MB PC100 168 pin SDRAM DIMM from PC World £20 (£10 off).
Now I've just got to install it. I know there are problems with static when 'messing around' in the tower system, but do I need to get one of those 'Anti-static' wrist straps.
Can anyone give me any other bits of advice please.
I am aware adding RAM is apparently very easy but the fact is I've had my PC for over 5 years and I've never even looked in the back of the tower.
Thanks for any help.

Tufty

The advice from Brian is half way there. If you where to hold the radiator, there is a possibility that you could discharge yourself. However, if the paint on the radiator was non conductive, then this would have no effect. Only by touching the bare metal joints of the radiator would this work. That said, this would only be the case if the chassis of the PC was earthed to the same earth as the radiator. And if you have a carpet with nylon content and you walked across the room to the PC, then you would certainly build up another charge.

The ideal would be to wear the wrist band. However, if you do not have one, then an equally good alternative would be to hold the chassis of the tower, when you are ready to insert the memory, with one hand and pick up the new memory in the other hand. Then there will be no chance of static discharge. Insert the memory whilst still keeping hold of the chassis. This is all done with the power lead connected but the power to the PC off. This ensures that the chassis is properly grounded. ( keep the power lead plugged in, but the switch at the wall off. This means the ground is always connected but the live is isolated).

Hope this is of use.

Mike

Mikee said:
Tufty
The ideal would be to wear the wrist band. However, if you do not have one, then an equally good alternative would be to hold the chassis of the tower, when you are ready to insert the memory, with one hand and pick up the new memory in the other hand. Then there will be no chance of static discharge. Insert the memory whilst still keeping hold of the chassis. This is all done with the power lead connected but the power to the PC off. This ensures that the chassis is properly grounded. ( keep the power lead plugged in, but the switch at the wall off. This means the ground is always connected but the live is isolated).
Mike
To be honest, I dont think it matters too much!. Unless there is very little humidity and static conditions are bad, I believe you don't really need to take specific anti-static precautions. I have been working regularly on PC's since the first IBM PC and never knowingly had problems that were down to static.
Saying that, It may be a little like driving in that you do things without thinking about them!.
Anyway. Remove the lid from your PC.
Your new RAM would have arrived in a static conductive bag. Open the bag and remove the RAM ( don't put it down ) ( You and the RAM are now the same Potential ).. Hold the chassis of the PC with the other hand ( You, the Ram and the PC are now the same potential, so no static! ( always supposing the motherboard is grounded to the chassis ), slot in the RAM and lock it in place!.

Mikee said:
Tufty

The advice from Brian is half way there. If you where to hold the radiator, there is a possibility that you could discharge yourself. However, if the paint on the radiator was non conductive, then this would have no effect........

Mike
Actually, it would still discharge, paint or no paint, since static doesn't need a specifically metal conductor to discharge. In this case, you are the conductor, have you ever had a static shock off a plastic stair rail, from your car door or have you ever had piece of plastic stick to your skin?

Anyhow, all this rhetoric aside, as long as you hold the computer case while you handle your memory, there shouldn't be a problem. Just ask Simonc.

rogerk said:
Actually, it would still discharge, paint or no paint, since static doesn't need a specifically metal conductor to discharge. In this case, you are the conductor, have you ever had a static shock off a plastic stair rail, from your car door or have you ever had piece of plastic stick to your skin?

Anyhow, all this rhetoric aside, as long as you hold the computer case while you handle your memory, there shouldn't be a problem. Just ask Simonc.

Yep, just earth yourself on the computer case, i'd use both hands putting the memory in, (you might need them both) depending on where your slots are placed on the motherboard, they can sometimes be in ackward places.
As long as you have earthed youself before you begin, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck

jeff said:
Yep, just earth yourself on the computer case, i'd use both hands putting the memory in, (you might need them both) depending on where your slots are placed on the motherboard, they can sometimes be in ackward places.
As long as you have earthed youself before you begin, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck

May I add a small point, whilst working, sit still do not shuffle about. Particularly with your feet on the carpet.
Jim

Mmmm. Very interesting. It was drummed into me on my A+ course that anti-static precautions should always be followed, including the wrist strap, which I have usually always worn. There have been occasions where I did not have it with me and I have just been extra careful and touched the case metal a few times. Nothing went wrong so I assume that I was lucky.

Another tip that I picked up on the course - rather than leaving the normal power lead plugged in, I bought a spare one and removed the neutral and live pins and left only the earth pin. Even when cables are plugged in the wall socket, there is still a chance of current getting through, even if the wall switch is off.

Belt and braces, that's me!!

Well I've stuck in a number of RAM upgrades over the years. Poked and prodded at chip sets, bashed em, bent their little legs this way and that. Can't say I've ever had any problems. The one recommendation I do follow though is not to stroke one of the cats whilst doing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back