• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anglesey 10th-17th October 2009 (1 Viewer)

RecoveringScot

I've just returned from a week in the old home town - not primarily a birdwatching holiday, but I squeezed in a few hours every day.

Around the Brynsiencyn area in the SW there were plentiful Buzzards (up to 10-12 together) and Ravens (largest flock 23) as usual, but Jays were more noticeable than when I used to live there (till 2001), being seen in two or three places, with up to three seen at each. Long-tailed Tits were also very numerous this week and there were several flocks of Redwing (up to 100 at a time) and a few Fieldfares with them. Mistle Thrushes were abundant, Great Spotted Woodpeckers highly visible on most days, and a Little Egret was seen at Foel on the Wednesday.

But the nicest thing was the large numbers of Skylarks heard moving overhead. When I first lived in the area in the 1980s I used to get up to 2,000 a day in October, usually moving SW. By 2001 they had dwindled to a pathetic maximum of 6! They haven't returned to their former numbers yet I think, but I saw and heard several hundreds over the week.

In general there were abundant finches (not always indiviually id'ed as to species but mainly Chaffinch), and a feral flock of about 30 Canada Geese. Pied Wagtails numbered up to 30 in the first few days, and there were 2 lagging Swallows on the 11th.

The weather was beautiful throughout.

Cheers

Nice one. It's a great part of the world for a birder. Had good numbers of Skylark over Uwchmynydd near Aberdaron yesterday, unfortunately didn't see the Black Kite which was reported!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back