• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon View & Coopix problem (1 Viewer)

Hello folks
Can anyone help with this please?
I`ve loaded Nikon View 5.1.2 on my computer which runs on Windows 98SE. When I download some photos from my Coolpix 4500, everything seems to go ok up until the point when I try to print - at this point the printer (Epsom Stylus 440) stops after about 3 second, and apart from an occasional judder, never goes any further. At his stage the whole machine freezes up.
After rebooting, I can`t print from any software at all - when trying to do so the machine locks up again.
If a un-install the printer and Nikon View software, and then re-install the printer software, printing in any other software is fine.
I`ve contacted Nikon`s support centre but have has no response yet.
Is XP the answer or is there something esle I should know?

King regards
Monte

nikon view

Monte Bleasdale said:
Hello folks
Can anyone help with this please?
I`ve loaded Nikon View 5.1.2 on my computer which runs on Windows 98SE. When I download some photos from my Coolpix 4500, everything seems to go ok up until the point when I try to print - at this point the printer (Epsom Stylus 440) stops after about 3 second, and apart from an occasional judder, never goes any further. At his stage the whole machine freezes up.
After rebooting, I can`t print from any software at all - when trying to do so the machine locks up again.
If a un-install the printer and Nikon View software, and then re-install the printer software, printing in any other software is fine.
I`ve contacted Nikon`s support centre but have has no response yet.
Is XP the answer or is there something esle I should know?

King regards
Monte

Hello Monte

Win98 is very unstable I have been using XP for 3 years. I have not used the Nikon View software but once you get onto XP you can use that for printing in My Pictures but make sure your printer or any other hardware you have is going to be compatible with XP but I would think your 440 would be fine but check for update drivers first.
Hope your doing ok with the digiscoping.

Regards,

Roy.

Last edited:
One suggestion would be to do without Nikon View - especially if that seems to be the cause of the problem, unless Nikon View is the only software available to you for image viewing and basic manipulation.

I'm using XP now and can't remember how good (or bad) Windows 98SE is at handling USB. If its OK with USB you could use Windows Explorer to drag the files from the camera - it will show as a "removable drive" named as the next available drive -ie, "D:\" or "E:\", etc - into a folder on your hard drive. Then they can be opened in any image viewer of photo manipulation software such as Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, etc.

Good luck
Gordon

Hello Gordon
Thanks for your reply - I`ll try that and see what happens!
If it works I`ll post an update - if nobody hears from me for ages it may mean something drastic`s happened!

Many thanks
Monte

I find it easier,to down load the pics with a card reader,and print directly from XP.All the sizes are neatly set out,it is so simple.

I never installed NikonView after hearing all the horror stories about it. I DL from a USB external card reader through Explorer (running Win2k, here), process in Photoshop 7 and then print.

GR

Hello Gordon,

Thanks again for your help - your idea works perfectly as I download the photos from the camera and dragged them into photoshop , and I can also print from there as well as any other software - so Nikon view is redundant!

Thanks also to Christine, Roy & GR for your info which I shall bear in mind as well.

Many thanks again
Monte

Much better software exsists here www.nabocorp.com/cam2pc/There is a free version available, you can use it without restriction. The full version which has a few extra features is not very expensive. This software is much better than any camera software whether it be Nikon, Fuji, Cannon etc.... I have used it for some years now and can thoroughly recommend it.......

Bye the way Fuji users have a problem with renaming pictures. Most users actually leave the last image on their cards to force the software to continue numbering from where it left off. Otherwise it uses the same numbers again. This is not a problem with cam2pc, you can set your own numbering system or naming system. You are in control.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back