• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ardnamurchan - Swifts (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

Just back from our two week Scottish holiday. Last week was spent in Strontian and three of our party saw a swift(s) 4 times from the window of our chalet overlooking Loch Sunart. This seems very late to still be there - we wondered what the latest date recorded is.

Sandra

it is a very late record, dont mean to be patronising but are you certain it was a swift? could well be swallow, house or sand martin as they are far more likely at this time than swift.

it is a very late record, dont mean to be patronising but are you certain it was a swift? could well be swallow, house or sand martin as they are far more likely at this time than swift.

I don't take it as patronising, Andy. Definitely a swift. My favourite 'common' bird. One of our party shouted but it had gone when I looked - then it came round again right over the loch in front of us.

Maybe someone who lives in that area has access to records.

Sandra

Did you check for pallid swift? now is the time for these guys (along with common swifts from the same area).

Sandra, my latest ever swift was October 27th 1981 at Rye in Sussex, but it's extraordinary to see one so far north so late, but I bet there's one or two even later records somewhere?

The St Andrews Chimney Swift led to discovery of a Common Swift, several Swallows and a House Martin and that was into November (and very cold!)

Nevertheless at this time of year any swift deserves a second look - and a third.

Do we get a full report on your holiday Sandra? Please!

John

Did you check for pallid swift? now is the time for these guys (along with common swifts from the same area).

We were well above the bird - high up the hill - and I dashed outside when Sharon shouted - without my binoculars! Sorry to be so vague about it . I just know it was a swift...............

John[/QUOTE]

Yes, John - saw lots of goodies. Just to whet your appetite: golden eagle stooping very, very fast; gt. northern diver in summer plumage; pine marten coming for its supper..................

Sandra

John

Yes, John - saw lots of goodies. Just to whet your appetite: golden eagle stooping very, very fast; gt. northern diver in summer plumage; pine marten coming for its supper..................

Sandra[/QUOTE]

Come on Sandra,lets get the report up for all to see ? Youre teasing us with that little piece about what you seen. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back