• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Screen resolution, text and pictures (1 Viewer)

rb_stern

Richard stern
Hi,

Question -- I can easily change the screen resolution (Laptop, XGA TFT display, Windows XP) from 1024 X 768 to 1280 X 1024 to make text on the screen really stand out sharp and crisp. But this alters the relative vertical to horizontal ratio of everything on the screen from 1.33 to 1.25, so pictures sized at 640 X 480, or any other multiple of a 1.33 ratio, look as if they're stretched horizontally at this 1.25 ratio. I don't want to crop them to a 1.25 ratio (e.g. 640 X 512), and even if I do, the problem is not in the new cropped size but seems to be intrinsic to the screen resolution ratio. Is there any way to show 640 X 480 pics that don't look horizontally stretched on a 1.25 ratio screen?

Richard

Hi Richard,

This probably isn't the easiest or best way to make your pictures look correct, but Photoshop has a tranform feature in the Select drop down. Select All and then Transform. You could then distort the pic numerically by using the Y dimension tool bar at the top. The distort value will either be 1.064 x the Y pixels or 0.939 x the Y pixels.

I'd have thought most other photo editors have a similar feature.

As a designer, this why I don't use the screen resolution you are using.

Regards,
Bob

Hi again,

Just had a better thought. You could use you monitor adjustments to squeeze the screen similar to the way TV's older show the new framat programs.

Regards,
Bob

Thanks for the suggestions, but my computer is a laptop, and has a limited number of monitor optios. Anyway, I've gone back to 1024 X 768, which is fine for text and good for pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back