• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spending next weekend at Woodham Walter - where to go? (1 Viewer)

Guizotia

I'm staying near to The Warren golf club, Woodham Walter.

I am within walking distance of Woodham Common, and can see small reservoirs near to the golf course (would I need scope for these?).

I can also see larger reservoirs nearby (to the north) - worth a visit with the scope?

Also any places further out that are really worth the drive? waders?

I live in Oxfordshire but originally from South Essex

Thanks!

The basin is certainly worth a visit, also Abberton Reservoir has plenty of waders just now and if the tide is right then maybe Rolls Farm also on the Blackwater Estuary - about 2 hours before high tide is best although I don't know what's arrived there yet this winter as I haven't had a chance to go and look yet!

Certainly in previous winters I've had Slav and Red necked Grebes, GN and R-T Divers, R-B Mergansers, Long tailed Duck, Shag...............

Thanks -

Is the heybridge accessible? I'm wondering whether I could take a buggy. Or are there styles?

Hi Guizotia

I,m pretty sure there are no stiles at heybridge ,but it is a fairly long walk and you may need to cross a narrow footbridge over the lock gates (the way I know anyway)someone local may have a better way ?

PH

There aren't any stiles, no, and there is a fairly narrow bridge over the canal (two planks width) so whether you'd be able to get a buggy round I'm not sure, possibly you could carry it over as it's not much wider than the canal???

The other possibility would be to park at the other end, coming from the Maldon direction turn right into Hall Road and carry on until you get to just before the building site, there are usually spaces to park on the road and you can go along the footpath marked "sea wall". You can in theory walk all the way round but last time I was there one corner by the building site was fencing and it would be slightly awkward with a buggy - you may have to turn round and go back. Worth a try perhaps?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back