• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Ground Nesting Bees (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Fellow BF'er Mike D put me on to these this morning at Strumpshaw RSPB, Norfolk, buzzing about just a few inches above the sandy path, occasionally one would crawl down into a burrow dug in the path.

What i assume was mating, was a bit of a contest at times with up to 4 males competing for a female.

Took these pictures

Attachments

• 006b.jpg
    006b.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 2004_0425Image0004.JPG
    2004_0425Image0004.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 2004_0425Image0010.JPG
    2004_0425Image0010.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 2004_0425Image0012.JPG
    2004_0425Image0012.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 162
Hi Carlos,
I can't ID as to species, almost certainly one of the Andrena's. Looks like they have just emerged. They will probably be about for 3-4 weeks. Many species nest in sandy paths which are well trodden.

There are no good British ID guides available at present although there are a couple due out shortly. Until then you will have to keep your photo's filed. Most of the old Handbooks for the Identification of British Insects are half a century old and well out of date even if you can find copies.

Harry Eales.

Hi Carlos,

as Harry already had said, the bees in the last 3 Photographs are Sandbees, genus Andrena, species cannot be determined by photo.

On the first photo however, this is a cuckoo bee ("bloodbee" if you translate the german genus name into english) of the genus Sphecodes; which behaves towards Andrena bees like a cuckoo does towards some songbird species; that means placing their eggs into their nests. The cuckoo bee larva then kills the host larva or egg and uses the pollen supply for its own development.
Species not to id from photo.

Jörn

Just found this thread so I hope it's not too late to let you know that this month's (April 2004) copy of BBC Wildlife magazine has a free Bumblebee and other bees and wasps guide in it!!!
Looking at my copy in front of me I'm amazed at just how many species there are in this country! Think I'll have to carry the guide with me on my travels just so I know what I'm looking at!
If you can, go out NOW and buy a copy of the magazine as the new one is due out tomorrow(27th)!!! Or you could just order a back issue!

GILL

Guess it's a trip to the BBC Shop in Norwich tomorrow, Gill !

Thanks Joern & Harry .. as you suggested Harry they are on a well trodden path which is on a RSPB reserve, something i found a little odd as i'd thought they'd choose somewhere out of the way. Fascinating, thanks

Gill Osborne said:
Just found this thread so I hope it's not too late to let you know that this month's (April 2004) copy of BBC Wildlife magazine has a free Bumblebee and other bees and wasps guide in it!!!
Looking at my copy in front of me I'm amazed at just how many species there are in this country! Think I'll have to carry the guide with me on my travels just so I know what I'm looking at!
If you can, go out NOW and buy a copy of the magazine as the new one is due out tomorrow(27th)!!! Or you could just order a back issue!

GILL

Hello Gill,
I will look up a copy out of interest. BUT. Don't rely on identifying all the bees you see from it. At a guess, I would think that little more than possibly 30 or so are illustrated out of several hundred British species. That's always the problem with magazine articles they don't do a thorough job. They give you a taster, but leave you up in the air as far as the majority of species go.

A great majority of British bees cannot be identified from pictures, you need a specimen, a lens or microscope, and very good book(s) on their identification.

Sorry to throw a little cold water on your enthusiasm, but if it stimulates you interest to look further, I wish you all the best.

Harry Eales.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back