• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pallas's Sandgrouse and Mute Swan in Beijing (1 Viewer)

Shi Jin

Sorry for not posting this earlier, but better late than never I suppose.

There was a flock of 80 Pallas's Sandgrouse at Wild Duck Lake on Saturday.

Other birds of note there:

A flock of 30+ Mongolian larks
50+ Lapland Buntings
1 Chinese Grey Shrike
1 Saker
c1000 Common Cranes (+ 1 Hooded)
c20 Pallas's Reed buntings
and 1 first-winter Mute Swan!! (first time I've seen this species in China)

Photos of the Sandgrouse and Mute Swan can be seen here:

http://www.chinesecurrents.com/wild_water.html

Great birds!

Beijing is a much better known birding place than when I was there as a student.

For me it was the western hills, Summer Palace and Miaofengshan a couple of times, no cranes, no ibisbill and certainly no sandgrouse!

Great stuff!

Cheers

Mike

Today, we saw a White-tailed Eea Eagle and 3 Short eared owls, but only 20 Palla's Sandgrouse in Wild Duck Lake.
Yesterday, we saw 2 Ibisbills and 7 Black Storks at Baihe Canyon
11 Great Bustards(and other's feathers, eaten by Eagle owl? ) and 12 Palla's Sandgrouse in MiYun.

Great birds!

Beijing is a much better known birding place than when I was there as a student.

It is a big help now that there are lots more birders and lots more info shared! Thanks Shi Jin and Li Ming for telling more about what you saw at Wild Duck Lake - I'll have to get there some time!

Hi Xiaoming

Great to know that you managed to relocate the sandgrouse.

Saw that you saw 11 Great Bustards in Miyun. May I ask where?

In Miyun Reservoir many Pallas's Reed Bunting and a few Japanese Reed Bunting.
Very interesting that even in early Dec the birds there were obviously still in migration.
On 4 Dec,11 Bustard(5m6f),1 Bar-headed Goose,1 Hooded Crane...
while on 7 Dec,11 Bustard(7m4f).Not so many geese and cranes as on 4 Dec.

In Wild Duck Lake,on 3 Dec,there was a hybrid type Hooded Crane in the flock of Common Cranes.

One adult White-tailed Eagle in Baihe Valley on 5 Dec,and I guess the same juv with Xiaoming's on 8 Dec.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back