• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Beach (1 Viewer)

bradinho

Couldn't find a dedicated thread but after attending several events at King's Gap I thought it is worth mentioning as a good site especially so on high tides as the waders are squashed closer and closer together.

I know a lot of people on here regular have a look at this area and surrounds so maybe some counts/sightings can be put up here?

ALso a note to general people to keep disturbances to the waders to a minimum please - they need their rest and feeding time B :) just like us and don't want to waste energy avoiding YOU or your dog! :t:

It is also worth mentioning that this can be a great area for the novice to practice their wader ID skills with many species on offer in the winter - I know I have learnt a lot here ;)

I'll get the ball rolling with Yellow-legged gull on the beach on Saturday seen by a number of birders were any of you there?

I'll get the ball rolling with Yellow-legged gull on the beach on Saturday seen by a number of birders were any of you there?

No but the Sabine's Gull back in Sept has got to be top of my list seen there. Janes bird obs is on the promenade just near the King's Gap. She prob has had it from her garden.

CB

We have a number of events coming up in this area - great birdwatching too!

Saturday 9th October - 9:30am start - Birdwatch at King's Gap, Hoylake
Meet at King’s Gap on Hoylake Promenade.

Saturday 6th November - 9:30am start - Birdwatch at King's Gap, Hoylake
Meet at King’s Gap on Hoylake Promenade.

Friday 22nd October – 9:30 am till 12:30 pm West Kirby Marine Lake Special
Meet at the Marine Lake Car Park, Dee Lane, West Kirby.

For further enquiries call: 0151 678 5488 or 336 7681

All events are suitable for the family. Dress for the weather and bring your binoculars.

All these events are free are held in conjunction with The Wirral Rangers Service, Dee Estuary Voluntary Wardens and the RSPB

You don't want a big one[tide] - about 9.2m is perfect - that was there is enough space for the waders and they can handle a bit of disturbance without giving up and moving out.

As Jane mentions "big" tides aren't too helpful but sometimes due to staffing/volunteering and tide times we only have limited windows of opportunity to organise these events.

Tide times as follows (Liverpool)

9th Oct - 9.9m @ 12.40 pm - so definately need to be there before th etide

22nd October - 8.8m @ 11.36 am - stay posted for details of a guided walk around Marine Lake at this event

6th November - 9.6m @10.37am - a bit high and a bit early too, so be prompt and set your alarm clock!

From previous years I reckon - Oyc, Redshank, Knot, Dunlin, Sanderling, Ringed Plover, Barwit, Grey Plover, Shelduck, Cormorant will be present in good numbers whislt looking out to sea may produce a diver or two plus we usually get a peregrine or two ... oh musn't forget the 5 commoner gull spp

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back