• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any birds moved into your nestbox (1 Viewer)

Hi Euan,

We have a pair of great tits in one box, blue tits in another and blackbirds building a nest on a fence rail behind a hedge. Best year since we moved here 4 years ago. :t:

We are in the "deep south" though.;)

Euan Buchan said:
Any birds moved into your nextbox yet? I havn't seen any yet bit hopefully they will soon

Bluetit incubating 7 eggs in one of our nestboxes - expected time of hatching possibly May 1st/2nd. Sadly, something seems to have gone wrong in our other nestbox - having completed her nest, the female seems to have gone missing, and the male is calling frantically for her. However, another bluetit is showing some interest - watch our website!!!!

Update On This Message!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Bluetit incubating 7 eggs in one of our nestboxes - expected time of hatching possibly May 1st/2nd. Sadly, something seems to have gone wrong in our other nestbox - having completed her nest, the female seems to have gone missing, and the male is calling frantically for her. However, another bluetit is showing some interest - watch our website!!!!

Strange goings on in the box reported above! We think it is a different bird who has come along and removed all the large white feathers placed there by Fantail! She is attended by another bird - and we also think this is not Neptune (the original male).

Maybe another pair has come along and adopted this fully furnished, ready to use, apartment?

Not sure but for the first time some birds (Blue Tits) have found the 'wool' we put out for them and have been taking a great deal today so there is a nest somewhere. they don't seem to be taking it in the direction of any our nestboxes.

Have Blue Tits incubating in one nest box. Another Tit-box which did have some Coal Tits showing an interest a month or so back is (i think) unoccupied.

An open-front type box which I have hidden deep in a hedge is attracting no interest at all!!

Hi all

I have now fitted a camera to each of three nestboxes
1) 32mm schwegler mounted on side of house
2)25mm schwegler mounted on side of house
3)open fronted on top of a 6' concrete post covered in ivy again schwegler.

I then just prior to the breeding season added a sparrow terrace to the side of the house to which i have not added any cameras.

I will not be giving this weeks lottery number to the person who can guess which box they are using??????

Sorry but I need the money for further surveillance

Totally amazed to find a pair of Carolina Wrens had set up home in my nestbox which is just outside my sliding glass door and what is even more remarkable, it is only 2 feet from a feeder. I hemmed and hawed about moving the feeder so other birds wouldn't be too close but the eggs have hatched before I realized there was anything in the box and parents are unperturbed about the feeder. In fact, they stop at the feeder and go back to the nest box.

The only things I get in my boxes start with s - sparrows, starlings, and squirrels. I saw a bluebird in my yard yesterday, but it didn't stick around.

Hello all,
I hope one of you can help me. At work we have a group of 9 bluetit chicks which have hatched in the ashtray hanging outside our building (you know, the big metal box things). My colleague tells me they have been there for over two weeks, so they should be ready to leave the nest. Trouble is they still look quite small and are a bit bare around their bodies. Also they havn't opened their eyes yet, so I'm not sure if they are ready. I don't know that much about them I'm afraid...

WokingBirdDad said:
Hello all,
I hope one of you can help me. At work we have a group of 9 bluetit chicks which have hatched in the ashtray hanging outside our building (you know, the big metal box things). My colleague tells me they have been there for over two weeks, so they should be ready to leave the nest. Trouble is they still look quite small and are a bit bare around their bodies. Also they havn't opened their eyes yet, so I'm not sure if they are ready. I don't know that much about them I'm afraid...

Does he mean it is over two weeks since they hatched? I've just checked back over our summaries for 4 years, and the eyes seem to open after 9 days. This year I looked at the records for fledging times, and decided that 19 or 20 days was a reasonable average - and 19 days it turned out to be, though only 18 days for the chick that hatched a day later than the others. The part that stays bare of feathers the longest is the back - only visible when they are stretching out their wings, or preening.

Where my son works, two years ago they had a nest in a similar place - fortunately there were two boxes for cigarette stubs, so they the smokers had to make do with just one until the chicks fledged. Is their any sound of cheeping when the parents bring in food - or is it not possible to be close enough to hear? This year we heard cheeping (via the TV set) at 6 days.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Does he mean it is over two weeks since they hatched? I've just checked back over our summaries for 4 years, and the eyes seem to open after 9 days. This year I looked at the records for fledging times, and decided that 19 or 20 days was a reasonable average - and 19 days it turned out to be, though only 18 days for the chick that hatched a day later than the others. The part that stays bare of feathers the longest is the back - only visible when they are stretching out their wings, or preening.

Where my son works, two years ago they had a nest in a similar place - fortunately there were two boxes for cigarette stubs, so they the smokers had to make do with just one until the chicks fledged. Is their any sound of cheeping when the parents bring in food - or is it not possible to be close enough to hear? This year we heard cheeping (via the TV set) at 6 days.

They made quite a fuss yesterday, but we haven't seen the mother, so we fed them yesterday and will do so again if they make a big fuss! I assume it's not a big problem to have them nesting in such a dark place? The smokers have to find somewhere else to stub out and throw away their cigarette ends at the moment!

WokingBirdDad said:
They made quite a fuss yesterday, but we haven't seen the mother, so we fed them yesterday and will do so again if they make a big fuss! I assume it's not a big problem to have them nesting in such a dark place? The smokers have to find somewhere else to stub out and throw away their cigarette ends at the moment!

No - a dark place is what they are used to, either in a nestbox or hole in a tree. We used a time switch on our cameras, then when it was getting towards "bedtime" it went dark, and in the morning, before we were around they came on again. The lighting didn't seem to bother the birds at all.

I've just been watching our two parents collecting mealworms from the feeder outside the kitchen window - and taking them into the very tall holly hedge opposite. We've also seen them on the suet block outside the study window - and were actually able to see a chick being fed by its mum, while father took some stuff further away. I'm hoping to see the chicks more as their flying skills develop.

Euan Buchan said:
Any birds moved into your nextbox yet? I havn't seen any yet bit hopefully they will soon

Euan

Coal Tits have raised one brood and have started with a second in our nestbox!

paj

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back