• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Outback 2004 / 27 (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Well… I was driving to work this morning, when, for some reason the thought crossed my mind that I had a hospital appointment. I rang in to check, and sure enough I was due a visit.

Now originally I had two appointments, but one was cancelled by the hospital a couple of weeks ago, meaning I had some time on my hands until my 10.30 consultation.

So, straight back home, jeans and t-shirt replace work gear, and I get an unexpected trip outback.

Can’t be bad.

At 8.30 this morning it was a bit hazy, just slightly cool and a little dewy underfoot.

But the Skylarks were up, and made their almost customary appearance first on the list. A small flock of Starlings seem to be in the neighbourhood now, and soon joined the Skylarks.

On reaching the fields, I was able to add Meadow Pipit. Although pipits really have been my nemesis in id terms, familiarity is certainly beginning to help.

A couple of Goldfinches in the small trees, Linnets also, quickly adding to the numbers.

This morning was certainly busy, with little fellas flitting around everywhere, most of which seemed to be Blue Tits.

The pond was high, but the bird-count was low – on the water at any rate. The trees were full of small birds, many warblers it appeared.

Moving on, I was able first to add a singing Yellowhammer, and a yaffling Green Woodpecker.

Then, I heard at least two, but probably more singing warblers, which after some research this evening proved to be Willow Warblers.

Chiffchaffs were also about, although not obviously singing in the same area. Even so, the only half decent photo I took (below) adds nothing to my ability to id. Based purely on song, and I am sure, I know there was at least one Willow Warbler in the same tree as the bird in the photo – but the bird I photoed (which I thought was the singing bird…)??? Well, whaddaya reckon?

More small bird interest followed, and (I thought) likely warbler movements, but the only bird I got a decent look at turned out to be a Long-tailed Tit.

As I continued on to the eastern end of the outback, I added an overflying Swallow.

The far side allowed me 4 Chiffchaffs, but once more, there were likely, at least, a couple more warblers – although all the singing was Chiffchaff on this part of the route.

I managed to pick up Treecreeper and Nuthatch, first time I’ve manged both in a while, and an oveflying Lapwing.

After emerging from the woods, I tried to track down the “pigeon” call I could hear, just to confirm whether it was a Woodpigeon or a Collared Dove… as I focussed in on the silhouette, it turned out to be a Little Owl. Brilliant!

And if that wasn’t enough, as I returned past the pond, I heard a familiar song from last year, and sure enough, the I saw first Whitethroat of the season sitting proudly on a tall branch.

As I reached home at 10am, just in time to set of for my appointment, I couldn’t help but feel pleased with the unexpected bonus of this morning’s walk.

Plain text = Outback day tick
Bold text = Outback year tick
Bold italic text = Outback life tick
(Number in brackets is highest number of individuals identified at one time)

Pheasant : 3 (1)
Mallard : 7 (3)
Green Woodpecker : 2 (1)
Little Owl : 1 (1)
Woodpigeon : 8 (1)
Moorhen : 2 (2)
Coot : 3 (2)
Lapwing : 1 (1)
Magpie : 4 (1)
Jackdaw : 8 (4)
Carrion Crow : 3 (1)
Blackbird : 1 (1)
Robin : 1 (1)
Starling : 30 (30)
Nuthatch : 1 (1)
Treecreeper : 1 (1)
Great Tit : 5 (1)
Blue Tit : 10 (4)
Long-tailed Tit : 1 (1)
Swallow : 1 (1)
Willow Warbler : 2 (2)
Chiffchaff : 4 (2)
Whitethroat : 1 (1)
Skylark : 6 (2)
Meadow Pipit : 1 (1)
Chaffinch : 6 (2)
Goldfinch : 2 (2)
Linnet : 4 (3)
Yellowhammer : 2 (1)

Attachments

• willow warbler.jpg
    willow warbler.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back