• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeding Robins (1 Viewer)

toulac

I've heard mealworms are favourites of Robins. Being a bit of a novice, I have no idea where to get them from. Could anyone advise? Also does know how long from the first brood fledging to the time the mother lays again is? We're hoping they'll use the same nest again.

Thanks

:h?:

Hi toulac - my reference book doesn't exactly cover this point, but here is what it says:

Nestling period: Young tended by both parents. At first female broods and male brings food for all. 12-15 days. Male may take care of young if broods overlap.

I think Norbert might just be quoting the sources I suggested, but mealworms can also be bought from some petshops - though the quality can be a bit dodgy. You could also try breeding your own, or if you don't fancy this, buy the mini size and grow them on for 2 or 3 weeks!!!!

feeding Robins

Hello..I have been feeding Robins in my yard for some years.Yes, they do like mealworms,but mine always crawled outof my platform feeder. .I know now they have roasted mealworms,but I have not purchased any.I feed the Robins raisens,and peanut butter suet mix that I make that they seem to love. I have also gave them chopped dried apricots and dates.Lots of other birds have also came to this goody feeder like cardinals,mockingbirds,and woodpeckers which carry of mouthfulls of Raisens at one time..Please let me know if you have success!!!!

Last year, one of the robins would regularly fly into the kitchen and sit on the sink waiting for the mealworms. he would also feed from my hand, and even perched on someones shoulder once, waiting for the worms! Cute little devil he was....

Thanks for good guide!

Hi,
I have now put a variety of different food out for my
robin family, who are happily inhabiting my garage/workshop. Leaving numerous calling cards :0(
It is only the parents that take the food but due to the audio
on the B/W CCTV that is set up overlooking the major part of one room
I can hear the little ones being fed even when out of shot. They take everything from the mealworms and insect block I got from the pet store
to the earthworms I unearthed while doing a spot of gardening.
I know that the adult birds are also gathering food from normal sources as they are still stealing the fish food from our pond, plucking it straight out of the water from above the fishes noses!

Thanks again for all your advise.
Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back