• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D70 vs Canon EOS 300D Rebel (1 Viewer)

Getting ready to upgrade from my point & shoot Minolta Dimage S414. After reading the reviews of the D70 & Rebel 300D and seeing that most reviews seem to recommend the Nikon over the Canon I still have one unanswered question.
There were a few mentions of dust collection on the Nikon's CCD sensor and no such mention of the same problem for the CMOS sensor on the Canon. Is there a tendency for CCD's to attract dust more than CMOS devices?

Dust bunnies on the sensor are a problem for all dslrs.After every trip I spend a nerve-wracking half hour swabbing mine with a homemade sensor cleaner.I don't think ccds are more prone to it than cmos types.I just try not to change lenses too frequently in dusty conditions.The Olympus E-1 has a built in sensor cleaner that activates whenever the camera is turned on.Both the cameras you mention are excellent so you can't go wrong whichever choice you make.
Best wishes,Pete

I would go the D70 and I have the 300D! I am happy with the 300D but I have played around with the D70 and if I could go back and get that I would! I find it feels better in the hand and start up time is even faster than canon! fixed with the 10D and 20D.
But on the other hand go with what you like! The new 350D would be a nice thought as well! Get a black one if you are going into Bird photography. Silver is a not good.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Ausie 300D

Wot camera

Hi there,
Have you not considered the new Canon 350D which is 8mb and is quite reasonably priced!
A friend has the Nikon D70 and the results I've seen are very good.
Don't bother with the 300D!

Cheers,

Do you mean it cleans itself in some way, or, like my 300D, it has a setting which locks up the mirror and opens the shutter allowing you to (very carefully) clean the sensor?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back