• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How narrow is IPD setting for Zen-Ray 7x36 (1 Viewer)

jab-law

I am looking at getting the Zen-Ray 7x36 after reading such good reviews in this and other forums. I currently have the Bushnell Ultra HD 10x42. They are a very nice bin, very sharp and clear. However, I have a narrow face, and the eye pieces are somewhat thick, so I don't get the nice full view I get from my Yosemite 6x30 (which are a great bin for narrow faces -- just a great bin period). Problem with the Yosemite is that they are nearly impossible to focus in cold weather here in Iowa ((-5 F or more lately). The Bushnell's are fine for focusing, and nice and clear -- but annoying in that I don't get a good full window view due to the fact that the IPD seems just at the edge of what I find comfortable. The Yosemites are made for kids, so they suit me and my 8 year son just fine.

Does anyone know what the IPD is the the 7x36? I looked on the Zen-Ray site, and could find a mention of it.

Also, if anyone with a narrow face has used it, how do you like the fit?

I really enjoy reading all these threads about different bins -- sure helps in sorting through what is available.

Have a Great New Year.

Jim

Does anyone know what the IPD is the the 7x36? I looked on the Zen-Ray site, and could find a mention of it. Jim

Mine measure just a tiny hair under 56mm. The eyepiece diameter is quite large at about 43mm (larger than the ED2 8X or 10X), so even if they came closer together, you'd have problems fitting the bridge of your nose in there, I think. They're positively wonderful bins though.

I'd suggest getting ahold of Zen Ray, they are very responsive to queries like yours. [email protected]

Rivergazer:

Thanks much. Email sent to Zen-Ray.

the IPD itself on the 7x36 sounds okay -- but the nose clearance is a problem.

The eyepiece on my Bushnells and Yosemites are right at 40mm across, so 43mm will definitely be a no-go for me.

Assuming I was to keep these 7x36, could the eyepiece be rounded/sanded off some in conical style, to make for some room for the nose (i.e., is there enough extra body on the eye piece that some could be removed)?

Thanks for you attention and response.

Assuming I was to keep these 7x36, could the eyepiece be rounded/sanded off some in conical style, to make for some room for the nose

The rubber measures about 3mm thick, and it looks like you could just peel the whole thing right off, sacrificing whatever protection it gives the lens. Charles @ Zen Ray is cringing, I'm sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back