• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spilled Seed Mystery... (1 Viewer)

smisra

Hi.

I have a Droll Yankees bird feeder that hold 2.5 lbs of seed. This weekend, I moved the feeder to a new, more bird-friendly part of my backyard.

I was astonished when I came back from work today to see that 3/4 of the contents (black oil sunflower seed) were gone in just one day...closer inspection revealed that most of it was spilled on the ground! What could have caused this? Nocturnal vistors are out of the picture since this happened during the daytime. Could it be birds themselves wasting seed, or was it the work of a larger animal??

Thanks.

Can't answer your question for deffinate but I find with my feeders that a lot of it does get spilled out onto the ground by the birds. Could be the reason or it could be something else. Sounds strange though that most of it was on the ground. Anyone else got any ideas??
Anyway, welcome to Bird Forum. Hope you enjoy it on here as much as the rest of us do.

This happens with my feeder occasionally. The culprit is usually a squirrel, especially when he's performing acrobatics as he attempts to climb onto the feeder.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye on my feeder over the next several days and re-post if there is more mass-spillage.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back