• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Argentina (1 Viewer)

steenl

Registered Member
Hello,

From the 5th of February till 12th of March i will visit Argentina for the first time. I have already a lot of information.
The first two weeks i will be in the south of Argentina.
I read the best place for White-throated Caracara is the dump of Ushuaia.
Does anybody knows the exact location of the dump?
Second question. What's the best place to see White-bellied Seedsnipe in South Argentina?

Other tripreport, information of Argentina are also welcome.
I will visit Ushuaia, El calafate, El Chalten, Bariloche, area around Salta, Iguazu falls and BA.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Ushuaia dump is east of the city and a taxi can take you there easily (and wait with you while you see the bird)

Hi Martin,

Tx for the answer. One day i will rent a car and heading east to the Garibaldi Pass.
So i will have look at the dump. I hope i can find him.

laguna nimez in el calafate was very good when i was there a year or two ago.

i saw magellenic woodpecker when we were walking in the woods above el chalten, but i couldn't say exactly where.

mike

edit: ps take plenty of cash to el chalten as there are (or were) no cashpoints and limited credit card use.

Last edited:
Second question. What's the best place to see White-bellied Seedsnipe in South Argentina?

Don't know if it's the best place, but I saw a pair of WBSS in the cirque above the ski resort at the Glacier Martial above Ushuaia - easily reached by a short taxi ride from the town, then a short hike.

Duncan

@Mike Laguna Nimez I shall take a look. I hope for magellanic plover

I saw a pair of WBSS in the cirque above the ski resort at the Glacier Martial above Ushuaia

That would be great. WBSS is a difficult bird. Tx Duncan.

Beginner's luck, I guess. I was there in early October, when there's a lot of snow cover which perhaps makes them easier to find. Amazingly well camouflaged...most of the time!

Incredibly beautiful birds!

WBSS01.jpg

In Buenos Aires Costanera Sur is a must visit (closed Mondays). Also worth visiting are the Vincente Lopez (bitterns) and Ribeira Norte Nature Reserves which have permanent water making them good sites for wetland birds. A day visit to Otamendi NP/Ceibas from BA would be very worthwhile for Pampas species (can be arranged by local guides).

In Iguazú, the Macuco trail is very good as is the little marsh beside the train station at the entrance to the National Park. The Ruta 101 dirt road near the airport goes through some good habitat, while the Hummingbird feeder (Jardin Picaflores - Planalto Hermit) in Puerto Iguazú is best visited in the afternoon.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back