• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggestions for SA in October please (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

We had such a great time last March/April that we are hoping to make our fourth trip to SA this coming October. We want to go to the Northern Kruger for about 10 days - have only been to middle and southern bits of the park before. Our relatives live in Jo'burg. We would like to spend some time (up to a week) in the Drakensburg Mountains and also go out on some field trips from Jo'burg. Has anyone got some recommendations or suggestions so that I can start the planning in earnest?

Thanks

Pat

We had such a great time last March/April that we are hoping to make our fourth trip to SA this coming October. We want to go to the Northern Kruger for about 10 days - have only been to middle and southern bits of the park before. Our relatives live in Jo'burg. We would like to spend some time (up to a week) in the Drakensburg Mountains and also go out on some field trips from Jo'burg. Has anyone got some recommendations or suggestions so that I can start the planning in earnest?

Thanks

Pat

Hi, Pat,
A couple of suggestions for birding from Jo'burg.......

Pilanesberg National Park.

Has chalet or tented accommodation. About 2 hours drive northwest ex Jo'burg. Excellent birding, and good game viewing.

Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve.

About 50km south of the city, just west of the Durban road (N3). I have never been there, but it has good Highveld (grassland and hill) specials.

Marievale Bird Sanctuary.

East of the city, near Nigel. Has excellent water birds, and regularly produces rarities.

Borakalalo National Park.

North of Brits, maybe 2 hours drive ex Jo'burg. Good bushveld birds, including African Finfoot in Moretele River by the camping site.

Check these out for starters. I am sure they would yield some great sightings.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Hi Pat
Northern Kruger is buzzing at the moment because there have been good rains. iI dont know what it will be like next October - it tends to be a bit dry up there. However, the bird life is always good. If you enter thrugh the Punda gate (594km from JHB) you could stay at Punda Maria to start with and work down. Whilst at Punda, explore north and visit Parfuri (look for Frank who will be able to show you some birds there)and travel the Luvuvhu loop. I don't know whether you prefer the quieter camps or the larger ones, but you have a nice choice of both as you move south. You could finish up at Letaba or Olifants and leave via the Phalaborwa gate (520km to JHB).

The Berg: Tendele camp at Royal Natal is lovely. If you book in there, ask to be in the upper camp. it has the most stunning view of the amphitheatre and has indigenous forest at the back. There is a short walk through the forest - if you do this in the morning/afternoon you should see plenty of birds. There is also a lovely walk to Tiger falls from here - lots of sunbirds and grassland birds. Plenty of other good walks too. Just watch for baboons stealing from your chalet! Dont go away and leave anythihg open! From there, it is approx 1h30m day drive to a place called Spionkop Nature reserve on the edge of Spionkop dam - good bushveld birds there as well,plus rhino, giraffe, zebra wildebeeste, kudu, jackal, impala, hartebeeste, eland,etc. You need to aim to arrive reasonably early to get the best bird life. it has picnic spots and loos.

This part of the berg would be the closest to JHB (I think its about 4 - 5 hrs). Lots of other lovely Berg areas though. If you go further south,you could arrange for a bird guide to take you up Sani pass for a day (or even overnight) . If you want the name of a guide, let me know.

Good luck in the planning. Feel free to ask more questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back