• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sinai Bird Calls (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

I'm arranging a trip to Sharm in the spring, and I'm hoping to be assailed by the sights and sounds of a number of species of lark and wheatear (and sandgrouse etc) that will be new to me (fingers crossed).

I have the Wildsounds "Bird Songs and Calls of Britain and Europe" by Jean C Roche, but it understandably falls short on the more exotic species of the Middle Eastern area - e.g. only 4 species of wheatear and the larks of northern and south west Europe only.

Can anyone recommend a set of bird songs relating to the Middle East, and Sinai in particular?

Dont know if its still available but there is/was a 2 tape set of the bird songs of Israel, by Krister Mild i think. I`m sure in this day & age there are a few websites that you can download the songs & calls from. Failing that there is the 17 C.D. set of songs & calls of the birds of the W.P. Sorry to be so vague but i`m sure someone else will reply soon with better info.

Unfortunately Krister Mild's 2 cassettes of Middle East songs and calls (mainly from Israel) have long been out of print.

Rob is right about the 17 CD (now a 2 mp3 disc) set of the Western Palearctic edited by Andreas Schulze (full title: Der Vogelstimmen Europas, Nordafrikas und Vorderasiens) which has a number of Middle Eastern species on it. The only downside to this set is that there is no locality data, so that some of the species you are interested in may have been recorded in North Africa !!

If there are particular species you are after try http://www.xeno-canto.org
which has mp3's of over 6000 species uploaded. Unfortunately, the Middle East is poorly covered, but you might find some useful recordings.

Also, download my avian discography (which lists where to find recordings of over 9000 species) which may help in your search for particular species.
The URL is http://www.aviandiscography.webs.com

Shaun Peters

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back