• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jan 2nd in Worcestershire (1 Viewer)

Reader

It had been my intention to go to Wales for the Red Kite but the weather today was atrocious so those plans were shelved in favour of staying local again.

Today we went to Upton Warren to see what would come our way. Straight away 6 birds went into my new year list. Robin. Mistle Thrush, Moorhen, Dunnock, Herring Gull and Gadwall. Out on the water there were plenty of ducks in evidence but no Little Grebe, which surprised me. I can't remember the last time I went there without seeing one. There were over 300 Lapwing wheeling and dipping around the reserve. Numerous Gulls and over 20 Cormorants were sitting on the posts put there for them. A couple of Curlew came flying in through the driving rain and as I watched them touch down I noticed a lovely Pintail coming out from behind one of the numerous small islands. I tried to get a shot of it but they all turned out blurred. Boy I have a lot to learn with this new camera as trying for the Grey wagtail turned out the same.

I went around to the garden area and almost straight away the Water rail came out but was soon chased off by the Moorhen. Two pair of Bullfinch were visiting the tables as were numerous of the usual reserves garden birds. The rain was relentless and all my opics kept on steaming up which didn't help with my photography. It was time to go to the flashes section

Flashes

Out on the sailing pool were over 50 canada Geese but apart from a couple of B.H gulls nothing else could be seen so I carried on to the flashes garden area. To approach this you walk along a wooden boardwalk that skirts a small stream. On this occasion the water was lapping at the top of the wooden bridge that spans the stream. Ordinarily this would be three feet or more below it. This meant that there would be too much water on the reserve. The garden area totally surprised me as it was almost submerged in water (I will put a couple of photos in the gakkery of it). Tree Sparrow plus all the usual reserves garden birds were in attendance but the garden area was in such a state that it wasn't going to produce much more so I went to the tower hide. the only birds here were some Mute Swans, well over 300 Lapwing on the ground, 31 Curlew and Common Snipe over a 100 yards away. I have taken a few shots of this bird but they are not brilliant.

In the distance the clouds were parting unfortunately the rain was still beating down here so I decided to head for the sun and call into Lower Bittle and also Marsh Lane reserve. Passing by Bromsgrove on the A38 we came across a Sparrowhawk on a lamp post.

We only got to Lower Bittel and there wasn't too many birds there to see. 1 lone male Goosander, quite a few Canadian Geese, a lone Grey Heron and quite a few various ducks. None of the expected Siskins and Redpolls that are fairly reliable there were showing.

To get to Lower Bittle from Upton you go onto the northbound M42 and come off at Jnct 2. To go to Marsh lane you go back to Jnct 2 and continue northwards, which we did. Unfortunately after only half a mile we came to a stop behind a traffic jam. Half an hour later the radio announced that there had been a bad accident on the M42 and that it was being closed both ways. that was it. We stayed there without moving for over 3 hours. Only then did we move and then to reverse and turn around to go back the way we had come. Apparently a van had shot through the central barrier and crashed into an oncoming van killing at least 2 people and seriously injuring at least one. The thing is that we were travelling that way not long ago and there was a chance that if we had decided to miss going to Bittel and carry on to Marsh Lane we could have gotten caught up directly with that accident as it happened just about the time we would haver been there ourselves. Phew, could have been a close call but it just shows you that you are never as safe as you think you are.

Back to the birds. My new year total is now standing at 64. Tomorrow I am going out on my own and staying out for three days starting in Notts then a couple of places in Lincs before going into Norfolk. Lets see what surprises those days can throw up.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back