• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gill Osborne's 2010 List (1 Viewer)

Gill Osborne

Bit late getting it started on here but here we go....:-O

Friday, 1st January
Alnwick, Northumberland

Very heavy snow overnight so not getting out far today as the roads are lethal so sticking to wiondow birds and a walk along to the Canongate Bridge and back.

1: Blackbird
2: Magpie
3: Collared Dove
4: Starling
5: Jackdaw
6: Black-headed Gull
7: Blue Tit
8: Mistle Thrush
9: Chaffinch
10: Wood Pigeon
11: Mallard
12: Moorhen
13: Grey Heron
14: Cormorant
15: Goldfinch
16: Robin

Last edited:
Saturday, 2nd January
Alnwick

17: Pied Wagtail
18: Long-tailed Tits ~ absolutely delightful group of 8 in the trees above me as I got home :king: Must be one of THE loveliest birds in the UK :t:

Sunday, 3rd January
Alnwick

19: House Sparrow
20: Bullfinch
21: Siskin
22: Rook
23: Nuthatch
24: Coal Tit
25: Tufted Duck
26: Mute Swan
27: Common Gull
28: Little Grebe
29: Teal
30: Carrion Crow
31: Pheasant
32: Redwing
33: Wren

Tuesday, 5th January
Alnwick

34: Feral Pigeon

Getting a bit bored with being snowed in in Alnwick :C SO frustrating having the coast so close but not being able to reach it because there's no way my car will get through the untreated roads :-C

Thursday, 7th January
Alnwick

35: Great Tit

Went up to the top part of Alnwick to get a few sprigs of bramble for my two Leaf Insects and got another tick in the process...along with wet feet from plunging into 12 inches at least of snow! :-O

36: Song Thrush

Thursday, 14th January

Crikey, my year list is trailing along VERY slowly this year due to just not being able to get out and about :smoke: And today we had to do a few odd jobs for brother-in-law who is laid up with a broken leg so no time to go birding!!! :C
So....only one to add today: perched in top of a tree as we drove down the A1 this morning.

37: Buzzard

Saturday, 16th January
Alnwick

Woohoooo birding in the dark! o:) Male hooting away on trees outside living room window tonight at 7.51pm :t:

38: Tawny Owl

Sunday, 17th January
Boulmer

Had a nice couple of hours with hubby at Boulmer today. Gorgeous sunny day :t:

39: Kestrel
40: Oystercatcher
41: Redshank
42: Bar-tailed Godwit
43: Meadow Pipit
44: Ringed Plover
45: Dunlin
46: Grey plover
47: Turnstone
48: Red-breasted Merganser
49: Eider
50: Rock Pipit
51: Lapwing
52: Dunnock
53: Stonechat
54: Sanderling

After a snowed-in start I'm finally managing to get out once more o:) Yesterday's trip felt good. But I've learnt one thing....leave hubby at home!!! He didn't want to walk miles yet if I had only went around the next cove there were reports of two shore lark!!! ARGHHHHHH .....such is birding!!! :smoke:

Tuesday, 19th January
Amble

Today I finished work at 1pm so had three hours to play with before Neil got up at 4pm. Was very tempted by two Bewick Swans that were hanging around Blyth but a few miles down the road the fog became so thick I wasn't happy with the conditions so Plan B - turned off towards Amble Harbour where I had hopes of a few sea ducks.

55: Mediterranean Gull
56: Wigeon
57: Great Black-backed Gull
58: Whooper Swan

No ducks but the Med Gull and Whoopers made up for it! :t:

Because I was snowed in at Alnwick for the first two weeks of the year it's felt as though I'm making slower progress this year but I've just checked my 2009 list and on 22nd January 2009, I had bird number 60 which was a treecreeper. Yesterday I managed to sneak out for an hour and got my year list up to 61 so, surprisingly for me, I'm slightly up last year I was hoping to reach 100 before January was out so I'd best get my skates on!!!

Thursday, 21st January
Cresswell Pond

59: Curlew
60: Great Crested Grebe
61: Shelduck
62: Goldeneye

Thursday, 4th February
QE11 Park Lake, Ashington

64: Coot
65: Canada Goose
66: Gadwall
67: Herring Gull

Last edited:
Thursday, 11th February
Stuck indoors!!!, Alnwick

Seeing as hubby is away in the Lake District until tomorrow afternoon and I start a fortnight's holiday on Sunday in which I plan to do obscene amounts of birding ;) today has been a get-the-housework-out-of-the-way day :-O Scrubbed the house from top to bottom - hoovered, cleaned the kitchen floor, ironed, took a few old books along to charity shops and bottles to the bank and just got a letter to finish writing and I'm done! :t:
Whilst doing all this I kept the binoculars next to the bedroom window as the garden two houses along has a number of bird feeders which are very active at this time of year. I was thrilled to bits to see my first woodpecker of the year, a male, on the feeders pecking at a fat ball and a group of five very lively Long-tailed Tits :t:

68: Great Spotted Woodpecker

Last edited:
Wednesday, 17th February
Druridge Bay

69: Tree Sparrow ~ in hawthorn hedge next to Cresswell Pond
70: Pink-footed Goose
71: Snipe
72: Shoveler
73: Greylag Goose
74: Pochard

Thursday, 18th February
Billy Mill, Tyneside

75: Greenfinch ~ male singing in trees. Heard them a couple of weeks ago but this is the first sighting of this delightful bird :t: Always one of my favourites.

Sunday, 7th March
Stag Rocks, Bamburgh

82: Common Scoter
83: Skylark
84: Fulmar

Budle Bay

85: Lesser Black-backed Gull

Holy Island

86: Little Egret o:)
87: Brent Goose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back