• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pera Marsh/Salgados (1 Viewer)

alanrharris53

After my last trip to the Algarve, see report here.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=156431

And seeing some of the older posts in this blog http://www.algarvebirder.blogspot.com/

I took it upon myself to write to Graham Wynne (CEO of RSPB) and Kate Humble - the new President. I pointed out that the continued inactivity at the site, and the inability to sort out the conservation of this area, was doing harm to the reputation of the RSPB.

I recieved a very detailed letter from Graham Wynne summarising what the RSPB and the Portuguese partner SPEA have been doing. I don't want to re-type whe whole letter here but it seems to be not all bad news in that they have been taking a lot of actions to improve the area. However, it seems to me they have still not been able to secure its future, although they seem hopeful fo progress this year.

Things that have been done include

• Stopping plans last summer for a planned open air disco in the area!
  • Confiscating and destoying spring traps in the autumn/winter.
  • Removing and destroying feral dogs which were in the area. Although locally owned dogs remain a problem.
  • Reducing disturbance due to sheep and cattle grazing.
  • etc

The sewage works will close this summer and so the problem of over flowing sewage should at least be solved.

They are also digging ditches to stop cars driving around the side of the lagoon - which I can understand and must be a good thing, but I hope they don't go to far and leave some access to the waters edge since it is a very open area and using a car as a hide is one way to get good views.

I can understand Colin Key's frustration, as I too own an apartment close by and one of the reasons I bought it was its close proximity to this area. I have been disturbed by the lack of water in the lagoon during some of my visits and reading some of the history it does look like a disaster in terms of conservation. However, it appears the RSPB is not totally inactive in trying to improve things.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back