• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding on the Gibraltar rock (1 Viewer)

bicknell64

Hi im going to Gibraltar in late september and staying at the base of the rock at catling , i was just wondering as i have never been there what chances i will get of seeing any migration movement and birds that vacate the rock i no of the blue rock thrush and barbary partridge that are resident but little else thankyou...

It should be excellent! A look at the GONHS (Gibraltar Ornithological & Natural History Society) website - http://www.gonhs.org/ should give you a good idea of what to expect. It'd be well worth your while getting a hire car and nipping over into Spain (there's a hire company in Spain just across the border),

I was there yesterday, and the birds you might see in September are starting to arrive from Africa now. Go up to Jews Gate. It's where the bird ringing is done and they have a balcony at the ringing station from which there is a perfect view of birds migrating in (now) and out (when you'll be there) It does need a west wind. I was there one September a few years back (on a GONHS walk) and stopped at the observatory. Eventually there were about 400 Booted Eagles trying to gain enough height to head south, but they were being thwarted by the cloud atop the rock.
John's advice to get into Spain is sound - there are fantastic observatories near Tarifa when the wind is in the east. Get to the mouth of the Palmones river - Caspian Tern is regular there. PM me if you want more details, but the GONHS site should help a lot.
I'm currently in Jimena de la Frontera, about 40 mins due north of Gib. Today I saw about 138 Black Kites over and probably 8 Short-toed Eagles. Lesser Kestrel numbers are building up, and a fine adult male Hen Harrier was a treat too. For the first time in a fortnight, the sun has been out most of the day and I have been in a tee shirt! The House martins are at their nests, and quite a lot of Swallows are also in evidence.
Sorry for the ramble.

Jon

Thankyou both for your help cant wait to get there hopefully i will get to see quite a bit, i will certainly hire a car and nip into spain also will pop over to morroco thankyou once again ...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back