• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Helsinki finland (1 Viewer)

mike4co

Hi i am visiting some friends in Espoo near Helsinki in a week or so.
I will only be there for a few days and as they are not birders i wondered if anyone could tell me of any local sites in the area that are good for birds.
thanks mike

Worth visiting are:
Finnå (or Suomenoja in Finnish): a small wetland with ducks, warblers & gallinules.
Nuuksio (or Noux in Swedish): a forest wilderness area with small lakes; might see Bonasa, Tetrao, Corvus corax, Pteromys... or then not... I think they have also English brochures to that site in local tourist information centre.

Here's a link to Espoo nature:
http://english.espoo.fi/xsl_perussivu_ilmanalasivuja.asp?path=5731;6247;6722;48321;48322

Capital Helsinki is located just one centimeter away from Espoo.Helsinki city's environmental centre has published a local nature guide in English (Let's explore Nature in Helsinki by Haapala & Nieminen 2000).

Last edited:
Thanks Karwin,
i will get the map out and look up the places you have mentioned,I have been to Finland in the past and found it a great country and the people really friendly.so i am looking forward to my next visit.
mike

Hi Mike,
Been Checking Out The Finland Links, As Like You, I Am Off To Espoo For A Few Days Next Week. My Pal Over There Is Quite Keen On Birds. He Has Fledgeling Fieldfares And Black Woodpecker-nutcracker-willow.w And Chiff Chaff In His Garden As Well As The Usual Tits-finch Etc. I Was Wondering If You Found Anywhere Else Of Interest That Might Be Worth A Look In This Area?
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back