• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Grouse (1 Viewer)

WACCOE

Marching on Together
Hi can anyone tell me the best spot for Black Grouse in Yorkshire,seen them at Langdon Beck but still need it for my Yorkshire list.

Me + a mate spotted one in a field just outside bradfield on sunday (28th feb), i've also been told the area around A57/strines can be fruitful

Me + a mate spotted one in a field just outside bradfield on sunday (28th feb), i've also been told the area around A57/strines can be fruitful

Cowell Flat near Bradfield is one of the best spots at the moment round South Yorks, I've seen a male the last two times I've been up there. Depends how much of a strict lister you are - these are from the Derwentdale reintroductions a few years ago which may or may not have a viable population, so many would argue they're still Cat E birds and therefore not "legal" ticks.

There are "proper" wild ones elsewhere in Yorkshire, which I'm sure Keith has sent you some gen on.

Snake

Drove over the Snake Pass today from Sheffield and I was descending, 5 minutes short of Glossop and 2 minutes before that golf course I'm sure I saw a Black Grouse in the Heather. Anyone else spotted them around there?
Cheers!

Drove over the Snake Pass today from Sheffield and I was descending, 5 minutes short of Glossop and 2 minutes before that golf course I'm sure I saw a Black Grouse in the Heather. Anyone else spotted them around there?
Cheers!

There's a small (and not particularly successful) reintroduction scheme in the Dark Peak. There's regular reports around the Moscar/Strines area, although I've not heard of any reports at your particular location (although it's outside my local bird club's area so I may not see the reports).

Cheers Pete - Good information - and from a fellow Sheffielder. I'd be grateful if you hear anything .... just come back to this thread. I'll do the same - and keep my eyes peeled. I'm a regular Snake man.

Cheers!

i've never seen a black there only reds and i live in glossop, though that don't mean they're not there just i aint seen em

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back