• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus confirmation and E-520 - where's the dot, etc? (1 Viewer)

pshute

Australia
I once tried a focus confirmation chip with a MF lens and my E-520. I gave up on it because the focus was about a foot out and there was no way to adjust it, and it kept losing the focal length setting, but at least the focus confirmation light in the viewfinder came on when it thought it was in focus.

Now I've bought a different type. I can't get the dot to come on, no matter where I focus. It flashes occasionally, but that's all.

If I change from MF to AF mode, it beeps when it thinks it's in focus, but still no light. If I hold the shutter down, it'll take a shot when it thinks it's in focus too (and it seems sharp, but I haven't checked that properly yet).

So why no dot?

Also, if I half press the shutter, it'll beep as it passes the focal point, and again as I come back, but then that's it. It won't beep again if I keep focusing back and forth. Is that normal?

If I set it to continuous shooting, and hold the shutter down, it starts shooting as soon as I hit the focus point, but won't stop if I aim at something further away. I was hoping it would stop when it lost focus. Same in AF+C mode.

Is this what others have found with these chips? Is it the same when you use an AF lens switched to MF mode?

i am no expert but i have used the E 520 for a short time and found its AF to be horrible, i was comparing to my old E 300, which is superior in everything specially in the continuous shooting.

right now i got the E 620 i do not have the same problems as with the E 520, but still the continuous shooting is less than the one of the E 300.

BTW i feel more comfortable with MF and i depend on what i see through the VF not on the focusing dots.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back