• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this floating through the pond? (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
While watching a pair of Canada Geese teach their newborns to swim, the water began moving. Knowing the laws of physics, something must be on the surface of the water making the disturbances. So I snapped a few pictures and here's what I got:

Attachments

• mammal ID 1.jpg
    mammal ID 1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 238
  • mammal ID 2.jpg
    mammal ID 2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Looks like Ondatra zibethicus; I think it is Muskrat in English?
was introduced into Europe (in the 18th century I think, but not sure) from North America where it is native.

The Common Muskrat is on my ZipGuides list for my area. It might be. I also thought of it being a Northern River Otter. What do you think. ZipGuides is found at www.enature.com (in case you don't know!)

No, I don't think it's a Common Muskrat (both the beaver and muskrat appear too dark to be the right species). The Northern River Otter appears to be just right.

gthang said:
No, I don't think it's a Common Muskrat (both the beaver and muskrat appear too dark to be the right species). The Northern River Otter appears to be just right.

I am not sure about river otter because the ears look wrong. I would have thought muskrat too but it is impossible to judge scale and it even looks right for a beaver.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back