• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos spring 2010 - daily web updates (1 Viewer)

Steve Dudley

aka The Toadsnatcher
United Kingdom
As in recent years I will provide regular/daily web updates of what is seen across the island during the main spring weeks coming up. These will be posted by midnight (local time) most evenings.

I know many staying on the island, and more so those due to come out, find these updates interesting and very useful.

My own daily updates from the island will commence on 20 Apr and go through to 12 May. If you're on the island before, during or after this period, I still want your sightings to include on the website and to enter in the Lesvos Birding log at the Hotel Pasiphae, Skala Kallonis.

Last year a lot of folk contributed to these updates, so please share your sightings and birds for others to hopefully enjoy.

Full details about the updates and how you can contribute/pass on your sightings to me, please visit the Lesvos Birding website.

A male Finsch's (sp)? Wheatear was observed and photographed yesterday on the island! a Fantastic record.

I've been told this was seen on the 8th April (last Thursday) at Ipsilou. I'm awaiting further info and a photo and if confirmed this will only be the second record for Lesvos. So yes, a fantastic record.

This and other bits from the last few days on the Lesvos Birding website.

Finsch's Wheatear

and only the third for Greece.

I didnt realise they were so rare in Greece as a whole. There are at least six further unconfirmed records from Lesvos (1998-2001) which we are trying to get further information for. I'm certain some of these will be genuine, but we have reports of Finsch's every year which turn out to be 'black and white' Black-eared Wheatears.

More movement over the last couple of days with Lesvos' first confirmed Calandra Lark since 2000 yesterday and the first of the springs Citrine Wagtails (2) today. I've also added a whole more records for 1-13 April entries which include another Spotted Eagle and a Syke's Wagtail. All on Lesvos Birding website.

Just a note to say all the best for your upcoming home coming as it were. I don't want to jinx it but it's looking good.

Looking forward to your reports. Got some friends going out on the 6th May for first time so I am hoping for a few long stayers. As said all the best

Many thanks Stephen. But . . . will we get there? I'm due out on Monday but not expecting to travel. Hundreds of very nervous people ahead of the first charter flight due out there on Thursday 22nd. I know of a few disappointed folk who already sitting at or near airports since Thursday. Lets hope we make it!

Many thanks Stephen. But . . . will we get there? I'm due out on Monday but not expecting to travel. Hundreds of very nervous people ahead of the first charter flight due out there on Thursday 22nd. I know of a few disappointed folk who already sitting at or near airports since Thursday. Lets hope we make it!

Steve, Stupidly I never give it a thought.

Whilst small fry in the grand scheme in comparison to what has happened to Iceland I really do hope this clears for all those concerned.

Updates here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8626505.stm

I was due out tomorrow and daily updates due form the 20th, but as expected, my flight has been cancelled and I am now booked on flights on Weds and Thurs.

There are few birders on the island. I know of a number who have been stuck at or near airports since Thurs, some of whom have now returned home.

I will continue to provide sighting updates as and when I get news from the handful of folk out there in the hope that those of us due out will get there!

Was due to go out last Thursday, have reshuffled arrangements several times but looks like we might have to admit defeat for this year!

Due to fly out last Thursday (via Athens) but no go, stayed in a London Hotel for three days (everything payed for by Aegean), but left yesterday for home.

On a lighter note ...

Different news reports give differering views from various experts as to the severity of the volcanic plume of ash and its effects on aircraft engines and/or windows, etc. Some (llike BA!) will say that effects are negligible (£20 million per day loss negligible?) whilst others, like a Southampton ex-aircraft engine bod on the local lunch-time news, say that the micro-holes in the turbine blades (huh?) will get clogged, the engine will overheat and therein lies the danger! Who knows?

However ...

As it appears that the Royal Navy ACC's have been employed to ferry holiday-makers home from "channel ports", I wonder if anyone has thought of carrying people on outbound trips ... say ... to the Eastern Mediterranean islands, for example ... after all, the ships will be empty going out ... now, there's a thought for you Steve ... a birder's cruise through the Med! |:D|

Don't give up hope yet!

Last edited:
Volcanic Chaos

I'm very sad for all concerned.
I haven't got the heart to look at the Lesvos birding website, in the current circumstances.Unfortunately you can't get another crack at migration and the surprises it brings.
So I'll spare a thought for everyone waiting some good news.
Best
Mick
:C

Hi all

Well Roy, I do have previous for follies when it comes to boats and getting to see birds on islands. Remember the Ancient Murrelet when it first turned up on Lundy in 1990. Well, I was the the first individual ever (as opposed to tour companies etc) to hire the MS Oldenburg for a day trip. I risked £7500 of my own dosh in the hope that the bird would stay from Thursday (when I booked the ship) to Sunday (first day it was available for private hire) and that the 200 or so birders who have verbally booked a seat turned up on the quay and paid up. It all worked out though and I ended up giving the £2200 profit to the BTO. Stupidly I didnt think of taking out the cost of a return flight to Shetland for the Pallas's Sandgrouse :-(

Back to Lesvos. It is beginning to hur me now as I was due out yesterday and I am still getting daily updates from Shena and John Maskell. They had a great day out west yesterday, but if you cant bear to hear what they are seeing, i'll leave it all to the Lesvos Birding website.

I'm booked on flights tomorrow (via Athens) and Thurs (with Thomson) so I'll just keep juggling what they offer me as each of these get bumped! I have return flights booked on the 13 May so still plenty of time for me. I know others are less fortunate. Kalispera my friend, I feel so sorry for you since you had your Gambia holiday bomb out too! Will you ever consider leaving Yorkshire again?

Steve, my friend, holidays sorted for next year...Blackpool for one week and another week in Bridlington.
I've seen your Lesvos Birding website and its killing me.
We really should have gone to Lesvos on Tuesday the 13th April, but then Aegean cancelled our flight home, so we had to re-think and as they say....the rest is history.

Where we were staying in Feltham there was a park nearby and we saw Mallard, Moorhen, Coot, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Blackcap, Jay and a good few Parakeets and we went to see the Wildcats at the Stoop and we lost in the Challenge Cup.

Fingers crossed for the 29 April....

yup - that is definitely a positive step but remember to pack water-wings in your hand luggage Steve! o:)

Will keep an eye on your Lesvos diary until we get there (hopefully!)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back