• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Day flying Lep outing (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
More lep talk I'm afraid. I and a friend took a trip out to Old Sulehay Quarry Northamptonshire) today and were rewarded with pics of the following excellent leps.
Dingy Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Green Hairstreak
Pyrausta purpuralis
Pyrausta aurata (wouldn't settle for photo)
http://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/show.php?id=965

Dingy were most numerous and we only saw one Green Hairsteak. We also had one very bright fresh Common Blue butterfly, a couple of Cinnabar moths and a Common Blue Damselfly.

There was also another larger pale moth in flight. Shaped like an oversized pale Garden Pebble moth at rest with two distict but slightly diffuse dark cross-lines on the forewings and a small dark mark on or just behind the head. If anyone has any suggestions please e me privately. Thanks.

There were 3 or 4 Garden Warblers and 2 Turtle Doves singing in the Stonepit Quarry area as well but no fly over raptors, which was the other target.

Katie Fuller & Brian Stone

Attachments

• dingy_skipper_old_sulehay_may_04_640.jpg
    dingy_skipper_old_sulehay_may_04_640.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 161
  • grizzled_skipper_old_sulehay_may_04_640.jpg
    grizzled_skipper_old_sulehay_may_04_640.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 159
  • green_hairstreak_old_sulehay_may_04_640.jpg
    green_hairstreak_old_sulehay_may_04_640.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 159
  • p_purpuralis_old_sulehay_may_04_640.jpg
    p_purpuralis_old_sulehay_may_04_640.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back